Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

James Laraway

How far north do kingfishers live ?
« on: 26/08/2019 at 19:59 »
Was on the findorn at Tomatin on Saturday and a kingfisher flew past me. The only other one I've seen was in Aberdeenshire.
I had no idea they were this far north

Derek Roxborough

Re: How far north do kingfishers live ?
« Reply #1 on: 26/08/2019 at 23:16 »
I did hear that they had been seen local to Inverness, but it Was a state secret, I did think it was near the canal but had no confirmation ,Derek Roxborough

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #2 on: 27/08/2019 at 02:13 »
Used to see them quite frequently on the Carron in Stonehaven but not personally seen them any further north.

Beautiful birds to sit and watch tho. Speaking of birds I was just watching a humming bird in the garden this morning here in Brunei. I love watching them.

:z18

Steven.

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #3 on: 27/08/2019 at 15:17 »
I didn't think there were Humming  birds in the east, I watch them in California amazing little birds, the fly as far north as Alaska, Derek Roxborough

Graham Ritchie

« Reply #4 on: 27/08/2019 at 21:20 »
I see them a few times a season on both the Spey and the Deveron.

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #5 on: 28/08/2019 at 03:18 »
I didn't think there were Humming  birds in the east, I watch them in California amazing little birds, the fly as far north as Alaska, Derek Roxborough

I'm very much East Derek, Far East in fact. I'm currently in Brunei not Stonehaven  :z4

Steven.

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #6 on: 28/08/2019 at 22:01 »
I do know where Brunei is , but a distribution map of Humming birds does not include Asia, but the Humming bird hawk moth is wide spread out there, Macroglossum Stellaratum , the Humming bird proper is a New world bird ,I can sit and watch them when I visit my son in California, one species nests local to him
if you google Humming bird distribution it will give you the map and the Map of the Hawk moth  :z16 Derek Roxborough

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #7 on: 29/08/2019 at 02:59 »
I do know where Brunei is , but a distribution map of Humming birds does not include Asia, but the Humming bird hawk moth is wide spread out there, Macroglossum Stellaratum , the Humming bird proper is a New world bird ,I can sit and watch them when I visit my son in California, one species nests local to him
if you google Humming bird distribution it will give you the map and the Map of the Hawk moth  :z16 Derek Roxborough

Interesting! Thanks Derek  :z16 it would appear that you are correct. After said google search it would appear that there are birds here that are incredibly similar to Hummingbirds but obviously are not. I will need to try and get a picture the next time I see them.  :z16

Steven.

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #8 on: 29/08/2019 at 04:11 »
Derek,

Some further digging  has clarified that what I am seeing are sunbirds  :z16

Steven.

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #9 on: 29/08/2019 at 12:43 »
cheers Steve, there was a documentary on Humming birds on the Beeb The other day, each chick is the size of a bee when hatched, with in weeks of hatching they fly as far north as Alaska, amazing for so small a bird, Derek Roxborough

Mike Barrio

« Reply #10 on: 30/08/2019 at 09:55 »
Used to have Kingfishers at Haddo and have often seen them on the Don  :z12

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com