Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Derek Roxborough

Loch Awe
« on: 20/08/2019 at 10:28 »
Sad News about the Loch Awe fishers, the one that died was the only one not wearing a Life jacket, sad news any way, Derek Roxborough

Dave Robb

Re: Loch Awe
« Reply #1 on: 20/08/2019 at 13:39 »
Obviously don’t know the full circumstances but I do think some people underestimate the power and impact of weather on larger waters.

Terry Coging

« Reply #2 on: 20/08/2019 at 19:34 »
A good reminder to check the cylinder date on my England life vest. Up coming  trip to Shin and Assynt could be risky with a duff life vest.

Hamish Young

« Reply #3 on: 21/08/2019 at 20:05 »
Always get lifejackets tested by a suitable accredited company.
Certainly within manufacturers recommended period and I'd suggest every two years based on my experiences with lifejackets. However, it's money well spent for reassurance.

H

Terry Coging

« Reply #4 on: 21/08/2019 at 21:02 »
I wonder how many people that don't wear life jackets realise how much they are putting their boat partners life at risk?
It is natural for us all to try and rescue a friend in distress and whilst doing so put our own lives at risk.
It has happened with me and fortunately my boat partner kept his calm and did not try to climb back into the boat. I just said hang on until we get to shore. I now refuse to partner a none life jacket mate.

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #5 on: 23/08/2019 at 07:05 »
I was out on Awe just the weekend before this happened.

It's a big bit of water than can turn nasty quite quickly. As much as the thought of it pains me I am slowly coming round to the thinking that a mandatory minimum boat handling competency training type idea might actually be a good idea.  Although from what i've heard it wasn't a factor in this case, I would also suggest that a drinking ban be employed also.

Anybody who knows me will likely be shocked to hear me mention the above but there are far too many incidents where people have come a cropper on hire boats through intoxication or lack of boat handling or a combo of the two.

And thanks for the reminder to check over the jackets.

:z18 

Steven.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com