Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Terry Coging

Smallstream from the boat?
« on: 16/08/2019 at 15:47 »
I use a #3 Smallstream with the 15' wafting rod on the boat and it works just fine. I only need  ~20' of main line out of the rod so the fine running line comes in to play.  Made me think that the Smallstream would be a very nice line for short lining. Does anyone use a Smallstream from the boat?

Euan Innes

Re: Smallstream from the boat?
« Reply #1 on: 17/08/2019 at 10:42 »
Terry,
I use my #3 Smallstream every time I get my Epic 370 out, whether that is on a river or a loch. I love it from a float tube especially, when I can cast long (ish) or short and presentation is key. It usually only has one fly but recently on Loch Shandra I fished a Kate McLaren and a Bibio, both in #12 all day with great results.
To be honest, I pretty much use the Epic with that line for nearly everything these days!

Euan

Mike Barrio

« Reply #2 on: 17/08/2019 at 16:22 »
Great stuff guys, I'm really pleased that you are enjoying your lines  :z16

Euan Innes

« Reply #3 on: 17/08/2019 at 23:55 »
Mike,
After a lot of experimenting with loops etc I ended up with a 9' Leeda Profil nail knotted on to the line making it around 8.5'.  Add a 2mm Riverge ring and a tippet (and dropper to the ring) and the 370 handles it really well. I can get a leader of around 14' to turn over nicely on a good day  :z4
Great line Mike  :z16

Euan

Peter McCallum

« Reply #4 on: 24/08/2019 at 10:05 »
Used a smallstream #5 when I was tubing in Orkney in July. The short head is great for loading the rod quickly at short range.

Terry Coging

« Reply #5 on: 24/08/2019 at 20:39 »
I'm thinking that the Smallstream is a refined SLX?  The SLX is a brilliant line in tough conditions and with streamers but the Smallsteam offers finesse. Easy loading like the SLX but better presentation with the finer tip. I assume that they were spawned from the Mallard WF which is still a lovely all rounder. I've been using most of Mikes trout range for a while now and enjoyed the various attributes of all of them.   :cool:
If there is one thing I have learnt over half a century of fly fishing is..........I have spent a lot of time casting too far! Not that I am a distant expert - just thinking about distance rather than presentation and where the fish are feeding.  Must have spooked millions  :X2

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #6 on: 25/08/2019 at 08:41 »
If there is one thing I have learnt over half a century of fly fishing is..........I have spent a lot of time casting too far! Not that I am a distant expert - just thinking about distance rather than presentation and where the fish are feeding.  Must have spooked millions  :X2

I forget how many times I've had this debate with the Malaysian guys I used to fish with. They were all either cci's or mci's and were some shit hot casters. Only to come to find that the majority of them spend more time casting than they do fishing and the results spoke for themselves in most circumstances  :z7

:z18

Steven.

Iain Cameron

« Reply #7 on: 31/08/2019 at 17:51 »
Have used a#4 smallstream from boat a couple of times. It’s been great for dries and pulling wets too. It works well for me

Allan Liddle

« Reply #8 on: 08/09/2019 at 09:40 »
#4 Smallstream excellent for loch fishing, i'd say the GT90 #5 a bit better though for all round fishing afloat, /smallstream best for close in work.

Terry Coging

« Reply #9 on: 16/09/2019 at 10:41 »
Yes Allan -  the GT90  #5 was my go to line for general boat work but since I started using the 15' wafter the Smallstream #3 with it's short head and fine running line is a better match. Worked fine up in Assynt region last week, even in those tough conditions.  Only had to change the leader once in 4 days. Considering that we fished Loch Assynt and Shin with white horses on the open water that was a record for me. Only used a 2 fly setup though.
They loved the danced Loch Ordie when the conditions became half decent.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com