Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Iain Stewart

10’ 5wt - Loch Fishing
« on: 07/08/2019 at 11:40 »
Looking for a nice 10’ 5wt to add to the collection. Mostly fishing traditional scottish loch style but having been affected by the Sinclair nymphs bug I also fish some CDCs and hares lugs.
Usually fish a fast action but interested to see what is out there and consider slowing it all down. Budget is about the £250 mark so thinking second hand rather than new rods. However open to experimental toys too.
Cheers folks. 

Hamish Young

Re: 10’ 5wt - Loch Fishing
« Reply #1 on: 07/08/2019 at 18:14 »
Mackenzie NX1 10' #5wt would fit the bill, super rod but not overly fast in action - buttery smooth would be my description.
It is over the budget but you could ask Scott if he has any ex-demo available -  they're pretty new and he might not, but it is worth asking  :z16
A secondhand Orvis Helios (the original) 10' #4 wt would be my next suggestion. I have one and it's a great rod..... fastish action and closer to a #5wt than a #4...
Curve ball - - Greys GR70 which is under budget. Not a bad rod at all for the money, not the best but by some way not the worst 10' rod I've picked up.

H

Iain Stewart

« Reply #2 on: 07/08/2019 at 20:13 »
Mackenzie NX1 10' #5wt would fit the bill, super rod but not overly fast in action - buttery smooth would be my description.....
may have to check ones out if open this Saturday?
It is over the budget but you could ask Scott if he has any ex-demo available -  they're pretty new and he might not, but it is worth asking  :z16
A secondhand Orvis Helios (the original) 10' #4 wt would be my next suggestion. I have one and it's a great rod..... fastish action and closer to a #5wt than a #4
... Yup got a Access and Helios 2 and they are amazing kit.  :z16
Curve ball - - Greys GR70 which is under budget. Not a bad rod at all for the money, not the best but by some way not the worst 10' rod I've picked up.
Nae  bad insnae selling it Hamish  :z4

Hamish Young

« Reply #3 on: 08/08/2019 at 06:16 »
Scott is at the Thrumster Game Fair on Saturday so wont be around  :z10

H

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com