Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Richard Glass

American Signal Crayfish
« on: 30/07/2019 at 08:04 »
Hello Folks,

I wonder if anybody know if it is possible to obtain a permit to catch the American Signal Crayfish in our rivers in Scotland.

I heard about these little guys a few years ago but as of late I have started to hear of their spread in Scotland.

Has anybody hear anything more on the subject of catching these in scotland?

Derek Roxborough

Re: American Signal Crayfish
« Reply #1 on: 30/07/2019 at 14:37 »
I hadn't heard that you needed a permit to take signal crayfish, a foreign invasive species, be interesting to hear if you do need one, Derek Roxborough

Graham Nicol

« Reply #2 on: 30/07/2019 at 18:34 »
If it was in England or Wales you need permission from the EA. The traps that you use then require a tag put on them. Not sure what the situation is with SEPA.

Richard Glass

« Reply #3 on: 30/07/2019 at 19:00 »
My understanding was that they dont want people catching them incase they spread further and the permits are quite are to get but I am not 100% as all of the information is pretty old.

From looking online they seem to have spread quite a bit already

Hamish Young

« Reply #4 on: 30/07/2019 at 23:45 »
Speak to you local Fisheries Trust  :z17 :z16

Richard Glass

« Reply #5 on: 31/07/2019 at 17:57 »
Hello Folks I just had this reply from my local fisery office:

"I’ve had a check into the fishing for this species and in Scotland you are not permitted to trap them for either personal consumption or onward sale.  If you have any further questions regarding this, you should contact Scottish Natural Heritage who deal with all matters regarding this fish, and will be able to advise you further."

Kerry Jordan

« Reply #6 on: 01/08/2019 at 08:37 »
I doubt that much useful advice will be forthcoming if your local fishery office believes that  these  creatures are fish 😬.

Richard Glass

« Reply #7 on: 04/08/2019 at 09:46 »
haha I think you are correct there :D

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com