Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Sandy Nelson

Re: I need a new mistress
« Reply #30 on: 24/01/2008 at 13:19 »
I have examples of very early carbon blanks from several companies and the wall thickness ? taper is quite amusing. 

I would well believe that, early glass and later carbon rods were built by people who understood Cane.
So they thought taper was the method to create action, it wasn't until better grade cloths and resins started to appear about 15-20 years ago that the idea that it was the materials that could be used to affect the action of the rod started to sink in.

Interesting you mention the hexagraph have you read this http://www.norman-agutters.com/archives5.htm

The idea was to avoid the deformation problems, history is quite absorbing :z16

Sandy

Jim Doyle

« Reply #31 on: 24/01/2008 at 16:51 »
I think that is a slightly rose coloured view of events!!  the origonal idea was the great Richard Walkers, He thought that a hexagonal tube would be the answer, this came about as with his first designs, through his contact with the aero space development lab at Farnbourgh.  He took this idea to Bruce and Walker who tried making a mandrils.    There was a problem with this and the decision was made to make the blanks on the flat, and glue each strip.   the addition of a carbon wrap to the end of each section was made by Ranald Hutton , he did his own rod and Ken Bruce saw and liked the idea.  jim

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #32 on: 24/01/2008 at 17:10 »
I think that is a slightly rose coloured view of events!!
Isn't it just :z6 then i suppose the past can get that way

I've reading more about this, since you mentioned it

Funny how many versions there are, everyone jumps on the bandwagon eh! :roll
Even if it has wonky wheels.

I found it intriguing that they ended up bonding a sheet of carbon fibre to a sheet of foam and then cutting the sections and gluing them together to get it to work.
All you have is a synthetic bamboo rod. I see the new versions are even being coloured to look like Cane :z6 Why? :z8
Nature did the job eons ago, seems we cant resist re-inventing it :z4

Long may it continue :z16

Sandy

Jim Doyle

« Reply #33 on: 24/01/2008 at 17:51 »
Aye Sandy, they tend to forget that some of us are still alive from the seventies LOL, mind you its a medical miracle in some cases. :z18  jim

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #34 on: 24/01/2008 at 18:05 »
 :z4 :z4 :z4

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #35 on: 25/01/2008 at 11:40 »
The original B + W Hexagraphs were available in "cane colour" years ago :) I know as i bought one  :oops :oops I sold it very quickly!

As for the pressure bit, of course, the rod is taped on the manderal, so pressure is being applied via the wrap whilst curing, but the autoclave actually forces bubbles to be removed..as i am sure yoiu already know. I did find this on the Harrisson site that goes through the step by step process..with pictures  :z7 :z4 :wink

http://www.harrisonrods.co.uk/production.htm

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #36 on: 25/01/2008 at 13:27 »
Rob

This is what happens when you assume. All our carbon componants are made in autoclaves so i figured anyone else using high grade carbon would be doing the same. Otherwise they will not be curing properly.
Back to this being the likely reason for the high breakages, if they are not :z6
A nice wee bit, the harrisons stuff :z16

theres a good vid on the winston site too, about how they make their rods.

Apparently Orvis have invested millions in new equipment to make the helios and i suppose their future rods, I guess they have recognised the need to match the equipment to the material, with this continuing surge forward in technology. It will be interesting to see if it pans out well for them this year

Sandy

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #37 on: 25/01/2008 at 16:04 »
I believe that Autoclaves are relatively new to the fishing rod trade...but certainly a move in the right direction.

Cant wait for the first camo trout rod  :z7

Mike Barrio

« Reply #38 on: 26/01/2008 at 18:59 »

Cant wait for the first camo trout rod  :z7

I've seen one and had a cast with it ........ but I can't for the life of me remember the brand name Rob, somebody had brought it back from the States I think.

Cheers
Mike

Hamish Young

« Reply #39 on: 26/01/2008 at 19:08 »
Didn't Fladen play around with camouflage rods a couple of years back :? Seem to remember something about that  :wink

Mike Barrio

« Reply #40 on: 26/01/2008 at 19:34 »
Didn't Fladen play around with camouflage rods a couple of years back :? Seem to remember something about that  :wink

I think you're right Hamish ..... again :oops ...... Is there no end to your knowledge? :z4

:z14
Mike

Mike Barrio

« Reply #41 on: 26/01/2008 at 20:03 »
Here is one for carp Rob :wink

http://www.topfishingtackle.co.uk/productdetail.asp?id2=1524

There are quite a few of these popping up on ebay too.

Cheers
Mike

Jim Eddie

« Reply #42 on: 26/01/2008 at 20:42 »
Aye but every time you lay it down , tou lose it  :z4

:z18

Jim

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #43 on: 26/01/2008 at 21:47 »
Or stand on it :shock

Hope it has a lifetime warranty :z10

Sandy

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #44 on: 28/01/2008 at 15:35 »
Fox and Shimano are doing camo Carp rods...me..cant see the point of them myself..if i am casting 50 to 100 yards are the fish really going to see the rod?

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com