Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Rob Brownfield

I need a new mistress
« on: 15/01/2008 at 15:50 »
If you are in past Banchory, pop into the Orvis shop. They have one of the limited addition Helios rods in, and what a stunner it is too!

Billed as the worlds lightest rod, i can believe it. They have a 9 weight saltwater model in and it feels like a 5 weight. Recoil guides, custom alloy reel seat etc etc. Beautiful. Cant wait to see the 9 foot 5 weight!!

http://www.orvis.com/intro.asp?dir_id=758&Group_ID=759&subject=3586

Sandy Nelson

Re: I need a new mistress
« Reply #1 on: 15/01/2008 at 16:19 »
They can probably say that,
now David Norwich's 'Helium' rods are out of production.

I wonder what it casts like, i notice they've gone for the mid action for the 5wt, not PC as far as the so called experts go, but probably far more suited to most people.

When it comes to mistresses, weight and speed have little to do with it, its how she does it and whether she does it better than the wife. :z4 All that bling affects her balance nicely, but the reel problem will be how large it makes her butt. :shock

Sandy

the video is pretty good though :z16

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #2 on: 16/01/2008 at 08:29 »
Sandy, her butt has two rather large rings....well the saltwater version  :shock

I phoned a chappie in the London Orvis shop (He took me guiding on the Thames for Pike in November) to speak about these rods as he is using them. He says although it says "mid flex", due to the lightness of the blank, it recovers quicker and therfore casts like a faster rod, if that makes sense  :z8 I dont pretend to understand all the mechanics of it, but i guess lighter means faster recovery and less tip bounce.

I am going in at the weekend to put a 9 weight Pike line through it to see what its like :)

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #3 on: 16/01/2008 at 09:40 »
Have fun :z16

had a closer look at the construction, given that as i was doing the glossary bit on rods, i was thinking what you want is a Med/fast, high modulus,super fast recovery, low resin high carbon with carbon scrim rod with a low tip mass, this seems to tick the boxes. If you added some boron to the mix  you get a B11X  :wink

they are quoting 2 3/4oz for the 9ft 5wt, thats bloody light, my B11x weighs 2.82oz on the scales i wonder how close the helios will get in reality :z8

Still a double butt ring eh! well i guess for your heavy weight tastes and the power you use, you'll need it.
The freshwater has a single butt ring, a tad more conventional :z4 for the more subtle lover :z4

Lovely looking piece of kit though, enormous money :shock

Sandy

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #4 on: 16/01/2008 at 14:43 »
Sandy,
seriously, the chap in the shop told me to close my eyes, bend over..nahh..not that bit...hold out my hand and said, "Guess what line rating this rod is". I said a 4 or a 5..nope..it was the 9 saltwater..which will be heavier than a 9 fresh water. I was stunned.

No UK price yet but he said circa £500.

Hamish Young

« Reply #5 on: 16/01/2008 at 17:06 »
Ouch - that's not cheap :shock

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #6 on: 16/01/2008 at 17:14 »
Nor are the top of the range Loomis, Sage, Hardy, Barrio  :wink rods :)

Hamish Young

« Reply #7 on: 16/01/2008 at 17:44 »
True, very true, but on the whole I've always found the top-end Orvis stuff to be a wee bit disappointing for the money :z10 When compared to the likes of Loomis, Sage, Winston, Hardy etc.

Few commercial/non-custom rods meet the build quality found on the Barrios  :z7

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #8 on: 16/01/2008 at 18:03 »
No UK price yet but he said circa £500.

yeah right :roll the Zero G 905 is $655 and £499

the helios is $775  so will be more like £649

Mind you , you have to be careful when people tell you to hold out your hand and close your eyes :shock

Sandy

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #9 on: 17/01/2008 at 11:34 »
yeah right :roll the Zero G 905 is $655 and £499

the helios is $775  so will be more like £649

Mind you , you have to be careful when people tell you to hold out your hand and close your eyes :shock

Sandy

Can only quote what was said  :wink but have to agree that I would have thought higher. Perhaps he was trying to get me to put down a deposit!..lol...or was that when he asked me to put out my hand ;)

As for quality..have to agree..was dissapointed on the first Orvis rods I saw, but the Helios is in a different catagory..although still a high gloss rod :( My TLS is actually quite good as well...and as you know, i am a fussy bugger when it comes to rod finish. Just finishing off a beach caster for the winter Cod :)

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #10 on: 17/01/2008 at 16:41 »
On a slight detour

My wife has just woken up from her cosmetic surgery and is looking gorgeous again :z12
I gave her a good rub down last night and gave her butt a good polishing.
The nice new bling is suitably subtle and her grip is nice and smooth again, just what you want :o
Am desperatley looking forward to getting out with her tomorrow to rekindle a lost romance, hopefully she'll end up bending nicely and bucking with relish as together we fan the flames of passion with session of pure bliss :z3

Sandy

Hamish Young

« Reply #11 on: 17/01/2008 at 18:49 »
Look forward to seeing that  :wink

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #12 on: 17/01/2008 at 21:43 »
Perve :-*

Mike Barrio

« Reply #13 on: 17/01/2008 at 22:00 »
Buzzers and bloodworms might be on the menu tomorrow methinks ......... and of course "Red Hooks" :wink

Cheers
Mike

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #14 on: 20/01/2008 at 09:28 »
Twas grand

The first wife is back in the groove, she performed with aplomb
Only started to weaken a little when presented with my slightly heavier flies.
But then i often ask too much of the good lady, she still does it, but under duress, not the best way to enjoy a happy balanced relationship :z10
I think strolls down the river are more the order of the day, or perhaps the spring to autumn spider hatch, then we can share more intimate times.

I did however finish the day with the star of my Hareem and she truly is the BEST by a long way, even poor Big H wasn't offered a turn :z7 NO-one does :z4

So mistresses who needs em :z7 just have a decent hareem :z16

Sandy

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com