Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Euan Innes

Once upon a time in Mexico
« on: 30/05/2019 at 19:50 »
Hi everyone from sunny Playa del Carmen.
My wife took up scuba diving a year or so ago and since she has a significant birthday coming up we decided to go somewhere that did not require a drysuit and your skin turned brown and not blue. We collected my Bro in law and his wife in Houston on the way out.
Of course there happened to be a fishing trip scheduled in to the week.... :wink
08.00 found us on a beach waiting for the boat and we waded out with anticipation. In less than 40 minutes the first reel started singing and after a good 20 minutes my wife had her first every rod caught fish. The sea fishing down here is NOT C&R so those of you with a nervious disposition, look away now.

Not bad for a first catch. Mahi-Mahi are such a beautiful green when theyvare in the water and even better when they jump. One hour later the reel started again and it was my turn. After a hard fight I got this,

Which resulted in this,

You could say I was a bit happy. It was my first saltwater fish outside of the UK so forgive me.
Almost to the hour the reel went again and as the second fish was bigger than the first, so the third was bigger still. The honours went to my Bro this time.

After this we dropped anchor in a shallow bay and while we all snorkelled around with stingrays and turtles the crew prepped the first fish and made ceviche. The freshest ceviche I have ever had, washed down with cold cerveza.

Just a great day out and guess what? We are out again on Friday :z4
www.fishingalgusto.com if you are ever in Carmen  :z16

Euan

Mike Barrio

Re: Once upon a time in Mexico
« Reply #1 on: 30/05/2019 at 20:02 »
Great stuff ...... enjoy :z16

Cheers
Mike

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #2 on: 31/05/2019 at 03:52 »
That will explain why you did not answer your phone the other day😂

You are right they are great fun to fish for, we used to fish ten weights with huge deceivers for them in Fujeihra when we lived in the Middle East. Enjoy your hols and send more pictures.

Eddie

Euan Innes

« Reply #3 on: 31/05/2019 at 04:50 »
It was a bit early in the morning Eddie :z4
Hopefully tomorrow brings bigger things. We are of course in the middle of Marlin season and Pedro is bringing a bigger boat so who knows?
Bring it on!!!!

Euan

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #4 on: 31/05/2019 at 10:45 »
Euan, be careful, I remember a film the needed a bigger boat😂

Eddie

Euan Innes

« Reply #5 on: 01/06/2019 at 15:45 »
And we very nearly did!
One more Mahi-mahi which was again turned in to ceviche and then a short scrap with what I can only describe as a runaway train :shock
A Barracuda hit the lure and gave me the ride of a lifetime for a whole three minutes before he performed a long distance release! So much violence and strength left me a bit pissed off that I lost him but chuffed that we had the meeting.
Just awesome!
Snorkelling with three Stingrays is also a whole new level of scary :z4

Euan

Allan Liddle

« Reply #6 on: 06/06/2019 at 07:57 »
Excellent stuff Euan, enjoy the sun, still bloody raining here  :z4

Euan Innes

« Reply #7 on: 06/06/2019 at 19:48 »
Home again Allan and yes it is raining... :z4 :z4
Fantastic holiday and definately a must do again location.

Euan

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com