Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Terry Coging

Assynt region again next week
« on: 27/05/2019 at 11:10 »
Half a dozen of us will be up the Assynt region again next week. Has anyone made a recent visit or got any observations please?
As usual we have boats on Urragil, Veyattie and Cam. A couple of us my do Assynt or maybe we can get on Little Loch Awe - the only one that I have not fished before. Think it's boats only on there but hear that it can be good if the Mayfly are up. Can't wait.

Ben Crichton

Re: Assynt region again next week
« Reply #1 on: 28/05/2019 at 06:49 »
Me and a friend are heading to Assynt in July hopefully to do some wild fishing and camping. Really looking forward to it! Never been before!

Terry Coging

« Reply #2 on: 28/05/2019 at 16:07 »
Ben, I guarantee several things... You will be smitten by the scenery...You will be bitten by wee beasties... You will cherish your first visit for years to come... Oh! and you will catch plenty of spotted beauties.  :cool:

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #3 on: 28/05/2019 at 22:15 »
I used to fish the smaller lochs around Stoer, some nice wild fishing there, Lexies loch has a couple of boats on it, the reservoir loch is good , plenty 1/2lb average fish there, Derek Roxborough

Ben Crichton

« Reply #4 on: 30/05/2019 at 20:42 »
Looking forward to it Terry. The guy I'm going with is going through hell at the moment at home so this trip should help him a lot!

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #5 on: 31/05/2019 at 03:54 »
Ben, enjoy, it is paradise on earth and your mate will definitely be able to throw the shackles off from day to day woes.

Eddie

Allan Liddle

« Reply #6 on: 03/06/2019 at 00:16 »
Always love a trip to Assynt, stunning scenery and great fishing and you've picked three of my favourite lochs in Veyatie, Cama and Urigill.
Borallan is also worth a cast as it's one of the best roadside waters around and the interconnecting streams are a must with the dries (okTurks Tarantula :) )

Veyatie; the further down the loch you go the better it gets especially just past halfway rock on the opposite bank, the famous weedy bay and a wee run through to Medhial also worth while.  Take in the river between Fionn and Veyatie, always brilliant if not for the fishing but certainly the scenery. And Fionn, go past the top shallower inlet and fish the main loch, stay on the right bank as you head down from Veyatie and you'll come across a series of very productive bays.

Cama; great all over but i like to go 'round the corner' and venture up to the 'top' end before fishing close to the west bank all the way back (by close i mean bouncing the boat off the rocks).  Look out for 'Sneaky Bay' (my name for it) that's on the East (Veyatie) bank three quarters of the way up (left hand side ;) )

Urigill; not too far out from the boat bay there's a skerry that's always good, otherwise i like the weedy bays towards the top (east) end of the loch.  The burn that runs out the bottom can be brilliant and very much underfished.

And if yer up for a trek then take the boat on Veyatie to the very bottom and head towards Suilven where you'll find a chain of cracking hill lochs

A little early for Mayflies (Wimbledon fortnight is the best time) but should see plenty lake olives, buzzers and usual loch flees will work perfectly.

Ok enough pointers, time i got back up there myself. :)

Andy Finlay

« Reply #7 on: 04/06/2019 at 12:49 »
Just back from assynt myself.
Just a heads up but you can no longer get assynt angling boats from inchnadamph hotel or from Peter in lochinver.  You have to get from the Chandlery in lochinver.
Also if you are not a member you can’t pre book for fridays or saturdays, you have to wait until 11am as members have first choice then see if the boats are available.
Wasn’t an issue from my side as tend to fish the somewhat more remote lochs.

Ben Crichton

« Reply #8 on: 12/08/2019 at 12:00 »
Well that's us heading to Assynt tomorrow for the first time ever. Heading to Boner Bridge from Aberdeen myself tonight and staying with my friends folks before heading to Assynt. Weather permitting we are staying wild tomorrow night before heading homeward Wednesday. Not quite the few days we originally planned but it's a start and a reconnaissance missing for years to come!

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #9 on: 12/08/2019 at 13:00 »
how many did you have while you were putting this up? Remember Assynt isn't the only place with Trout lochs, but I hope you get the weather and tight lines
Derek Roxborough

Ben Crichton

« Reply #10 on: 12/08/2019 at 13:22 »
We have still to decide exactly where we are fishing hence I used Assynt as a regional reference that's all.  The weather looks ok so far but you never know🤔 Please excuse my over excitement, this is something I've wanted to do for years and am only now getting round to. Hopefully this will become a yearly thing!

Iain Cameron

« Reply #11 on: 12/08/2019 at 14:09 »
tight lines Ben

there's a bewildering amount of places to fish up there; hopefully you will find something that suits you.
And you probably should have a pie from the lochinver pie shop too

awra best
iain

Ben Crichton

« Reply #12 on: 12/08/2019 at 14:36 »
Thanks Iain,

I'm away with Bruce Sandison's book, a book on 30 of the best lochs in the area and an os map all highlighted with potential lochs! My friend knows the area a bit also.

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #13 on: 12/08/2019 at 17:18 »
I like the book , but Bruces son said it was one of the best works of fiction he had read, but Bruce was a decent guy and the book is a decent guide, there is an on line Guide to the Trout lochs of Gairloch , Derek Roxborough

Terry Coging

« Reply #14 on: 13/08/2019 at 11:36 »
Hope you are enjoying it Ben as I'm sure you will. I'll be up there again in 3 wks time, Booked boats on Uragill, Cam and Asyynt so far. Seeing what the conditions are like before deciding other days. We fished Cam, Uragill, Veyatie, Boralan and Shin on our trip in late May - brilliant! Our annual trip has become two trips. Not fished up there in Sept before so things can be a bit different. Do the salmon show up in Assynt and Shin more frequently in Sept I wonder?

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com