Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

benbryant

Fish catch changes??
« on: 13/01/2008 at 21:43 »
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could help me, if you have fished Haddo quite a few times over the last few years, has it ever struck you that there is a month in summer (June-August) where catch of trout is strikingly better? I have obtained a stringent pattern in the data i have studied and was wondering if anyone could help solve the questions i have! :z8

Kind regards

Ben

Mike Barrio

Re: Fish catch changes??
« Reply #1 on: 14/01/2008 at 09:52 »
Hi Ben :cool:

I'm not sure what you've found in the data, but yes, there are certain times of the year that the loch fishes better than normal .......... this usually coincides with the arrival or hatching of some of their favourite grub, eg the Hawthorns, or the Large Olives etc?

I'd be surprised if one particular month through up a pattern of being better every year, as the weather/water conditions vary so much? .............. Interesting, tell us more :cool:

Best wishes
Mike

benbryant

« Reply #2 on: 14/01/2008 at 10:17 »
Hi Mike,

Well from 2003-2006, July is consistantly the worst fishing month of the summer period. It's very strange, my feelings suggest that air/water temp are not the factor affecting these results so im trying to figure out other possible reasons!
With the High Level angler study the July "dip" of 2006 is extremely significant (with anglers catching 7/8 fish less for their sessions.

Ben

Mike Barrio

« Reply #3 on: 14/01/2008 at 10:45 »
Hmmm ...... interesting, August was always the "tricky month" historically for small stillwater fishing, perhaps it has moved forward to July?

Blimey ........ you might have uncovered something relating to global warming here Ben ......... if I were you I'd apply for a huge grant to continue your studies! :z4

Cheers
Mike

benbryant

« Reply #4 on: 14/01/2008 at 10:53 »
 :z4 haha, i don't know about that!
But at least there are some interesting findings that have surfaced!
Is the fishery closed at the moment Mike? Im back at Haddo and was going to pop over at some point and give you a hard copy?

Ben

Mike Barrio

« Reply #5 on: 14/01/2008 at 10:59 »
Seriously though, it is very difficult to define these things :roll For example in the first half of the summer the best catches are probably still achieved with nymphs, especially in bright conditions ......... but the "high level anglers" will see the odd fish rising and find it difficult to resist fishing a dry fly :wink They might catch a few fish less than when they were fishing nymphs the month before, but you can't beat the enjoyment and satisfaction of taking fish off the top :cool:

There will always be factors like the above that will prove "tricky" when trying to make sense of your data :z7

Best wishes
Mike

PS: I will be opening tomorrow Ben ......... I'll put the kettle on :wink

Mike Barrio

« Reply #6 on: 14/01/2008 at 11:05 »
PS: Ben :wink

If I find that from now on I don't get many anglers in July ....... I'll send you the bill :z13

Jim Eddie

« Reply #7 on: 14/01/2008 at 17:30 »
I think we all know that the fish go off the take  in higher water temperatures , I also would have gone for August being the worst month , however if you scroll down the link belw you will see that although July and August both have an average high of 18 deg c in July and August, August has an average low of 10 deg c compared to July's average low of 11 deg c. Perhaps that slight lowering of the temperature in August helps the fishing slightly.

Either that or abody's awa for their holidays in July    :z4

http://weather.uk.msn.com/local.aspx?wealocations=wc:UKXX0053

:z18
Jim

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com