Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Andrew Blakely

Recommend me a club to join........
« on: 18/05/2019 at 12:04 »
Hi,
I am looking for some advice please.
I am not really a salmon angler, preferring wild brown trout and sea trout.  I am looking to fish on the Don next season, mainly for brownies.
Given the amount of water available to fish and the various controlling clubs and associated permit costs, if you could only join one (or two max) as season permit holders to fish for trout, what would they be ?
All the best,
Andy.

Fred Hay

Re: Recommend me a club to join........
« Reply #1 on: 18/05/2019 at 17:58 »
Andy
Perhaps I'm biased but would suggest Inverurie Angling Association, of which I am secretary.
We administer the Burgh fishings at Inverurie which has circa 2miles on the Don and 4 miles on the Urie at the cost of a season permit. We also have fishings on a dual private beat Keithhall and Ardmurdo which is circa 3miles on the Don. In addition we also offer exchange permits to a further 2 beats on the Don plus have some other benefits.
The membership fee to IAA is £20 (adults) and £10 (seniors) plus your permit costs.
PM me if you are interested and I'll provide you more information.
Rgds Fred

James Laraway

« Reply #2 on: 19/05/2019 at 14:30 »
Andy, where do you live in relation to the don as that would allow more detailed recommendations..

Andrew Blakely

« Reply #3 on: 19/05/2019 at 19:14 »
I live in Burghead, Moray.  Looking at google maps, Kintore, Kemnay, Inverurie, Alford are all pretty much the same travelling distance.  Would love to have permits for them all but would need a second mortgage I think.  Looking to get a season permit over day permits just to give me the flexibility to fish when I want.
All the best,
Andy.

James Laraway

« Reply #4 on: 20/05/2019 at 11:16 »
I live in Burghead, Moray.  Looking at google maps, Kintore, Kemnay, Inverurie, Alford are all pretty much the same travelling distance.  Would love to have permits for them all but would need a second mortgage I think.  Looking to get a season permit over day permits just to give me the flexibility to fish when I want.
All the best,
Andy.

For easy I would probably go got Inverurie.

I used to fish the Kintore and Kemnay club beats but I think Inverurie is closer and has far more water to 'go at'

Another thought, which would be closer to you,  would be the Deveron - a number of people on here fish is and get some really good fish !

Allan Liddle

« Reply #5 on: 06/06/2019 at 07:53 »
Hi Andy

Huntly Association water on Deveron is good and offers six day fishing including Saturdays to season ticket holders, easy travel distance from Burghead.
That said about the same distance away in the other direction is Loch Achonachie Angling Club which offers a load of fishing for only £65 per year.  Boats (only £15 per day for members) on Lochs Achonachie (some salmon, trout and good pike water), Meig (salmon and trout both wild and supplementary stocked) and Scardroy (wild browns) Bank fishing on all these waters free to members.
They also have access to Connon and Upper Blackwater as well as a host of exchange permits which offer excellent value and opportunity if yo are travelling around or on holiday.

Closer to home the River Spey Anglers Association now have a boat on Loch NaBo for members use at £15 per rod.

Hope this helps

Andrew Blakely

« Reply #6 on: 06/06/2019 at 20:53 »
Much appreciated Allan

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com