Fishing The Fly Forum, based in Aberdeenshire,  Scotland

Hamish Young

Continuing the 'things that you find'.....
« on: May 06, 2019, 07:48:58 AM »
So the roof on the steading next to my house needs to be replaced - this means that I am obliged to start sorting out the contents of the steading which are... how shall I put this.... somewhat chaotic.
This in itself has naff all to do with discussing tackle here, but what I found does.

Find #1.
Some 13 years ago now I was given two 10' 3 piece Orvis prototype rods to mess around with which had not been adopted for production.  I thought I had lost one but no :! It was in the steading.  It's a 10' #7wt (more like a #9wt) which I used for Pollock and casting stuff and... well.... it's still there. Good news as I thought I'd lost it, for the craic I'm going to take it out of retirement after Pollock again this summer.

But there was a surprise waiting.....

Find #2.
I was given a rod a couple of years ago which had never been out of the rod bag until yesterday. Mainly as the rod bag said Shakespeare President, but the rod in the bag was an as new Bob Church IM6 15' Salar.

Now in the fly fishing world Bob Church is perhaps better known for his stillwater (largely) trout fishing exploits. However, Bob fished for everything and it's little known he was a regular rod on the Ness and others across Scotland. In the hand the rod feels like it's not a noodle with good blank recovery, so I do believe I'm going to take it out for a cast  :wink
Any forum members used one or familair with it :?

Find #3.
I've also found the 'Ark Royal' my Caddis float tube. It has been inflated that for the first time in 7 or 8 years. Two days after inflating it's still holding air.... so I may be obliged to try that again.

Unfortunately, I still need to re-roof the steading  :z10

H
“When tired at last, he sat on the bank, while the river still chattered on to him, a babbling procession of the best stories in the world, sent from the heart of the earth to be told at last to the insatiable sea.”

Iain Cameron

Re: Continuing the 'things that you find'.....
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2019, 18:46:18 PM »
a Caddis Navigator? The King of float tubes :-)

Hamish Young

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2019, 19:04:09 PM »
Aye Iain, it is indeed and one of the very first to come to the UK  :z16
Looks a little war weary, but then again it is high mileage  :wink
“When tired at last, he sat on the bank, while the river still chattered on to him, a babbling procession of the best stories in the world, sent from the heart of the earth to be told at last to the insatiable sea.”

Euan Innes

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2019, 19:06:14 PM »
It is indeed a rival to this,

Worlds biggest boat (and one of my clients)
And H, I want to try out the Bob Church  :z16

Euan  :z4 :z4 :z4
Living with deep, full breaths is the way of the trout. Fish, it seems, are the ultimate teachers in breathing.
RC Cone

Hamish Young

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2019, 19:17:48 PM »
I might take the Bob Church rod out for a chuck tomorrow lunchtime or on the way home from work.
It's intriguing me :! Assuming I don't do anything silly with it, of course you'll get a cast chum  :wink

Forum moderators : Mike Barrio - Hamish Young - Sandy Nelson

Barrio Fly Lines, designed in Scotland ... Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines - www.flylineshop.com - At the heart of your fishing ..... lies a great fly line!

© Copyright www.fishingthefly.co.uk all rights reserved

Please click here to read our cookies and privacy information before using our website forum