Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Ben Bryan

Arbuthnott - River Bervie info sought.
« on: 15/04/2019 at 16:09 »
Hi folks,

I have just joined the forum to try find some info about the Arbuthnott stretch of the Bervie.

I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction for permits. I have emailed the Estate but have not yet recieved a reply.

It would be great to hear any other info about the Bervie too.

Thanks.

Ben.

Peter McCallum

Re: Arbuthnott - River Bervie info sought.
« Reply #1 on: 15/04/2019 at 16:55 »
Last I heard the arbuthnott stretch was £50+ per season though  the estate no longer has a keeper so the banks are quite wild in places. Below arbuthnott is the inverbervie club water above is laurencekirk angling club.

The bervie has ac run of salmon and sea trout though the run is modest and it's a spate river with all that implies.
There are trout though a survey a few years ago said there wasn't many on the inverbervie stretch where I fish. That said I've had a few nice 10 -11 inch trout when I've specifically targeted them and I had one over 2lb on a map fishing for salmon a few years ago.  Most of the river doesn't lend itself particularly to fly fishing and nearly all my migratory fish have come to a no2 or no3 mepp.

Hope this helps

Peter

Ben Bryan

« Reply #2 on: 15/04/2019 at 20:13 »
Thanks Peter,

That's geeat info. It's small stream fly fishing I'm looking for. Would I be better to try the Luther Water?

Peter McCallum

« Reply #3 on: 15/04/2019 at 20:31 »
Not sure about the luther I'm afraid Ben. The laurencekirk club runs the Luther as well as the top stretch of the bervie.

« Reply #4 on: 24/04/2019 at 12:43 »
Its been a few years since I fished the Luther, but believe it still has a good stock of feisty wee trout.  A 10" fish would be considered good, but larger fish are taken by people spinning for Salmon.

As Peter says Laurencekirk and District Angling Association are your best bet for permits, they also have a facebook page.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com