Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Hamish Young

Is it necessary to reinvent the wheel?
« on: 09/04/2019 at 18:28 »
So as it happens I am one of the moderation team on a well known Facebook page that has much to do with silver tourists.
A German casting instructor instructor based in Ireland, Michael Rebholz, has 'invented' a new type of anchor for casting called the rodborn anchor. To see what I mean, you really need to watch one of his videos, so try this one:

On that page I did try to be fair, although it's probably obvious what I think about this by the 'is it necessary to' start to the thread. Michael has had a fairly hard time from many a stalwart of the casting fraternity, but what do you think :?

Still, spend 6 minutes in Michael's company, form your own view and discuss.

H

Euan Innes

Re: Is it necessary to reinvent the wheel?
« Reply #1 on: 09/04/2019 at 21:42 »
Certainly different but I can't help but think that the 1st was a week ago.
Is it necessary to reinvent the wheel? Nope....
All very odd and I am left thinking that I can't see where one would use such a cast, considering how many others are out there that perform equally as well or better. Would be great at a countryside show  :z4
Come in number seven, your five minutes are up!

Euan

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #2 on: 10/04/2019 at 01:52 »
pish

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #3 on: 10/04/2019 at 05:00 »
H,

IIRC correctly I did post on said facebook page that I share the view that my father above put so eloquently  :z4

:z18

Steven.

Fred Hay

« Reply #4 on: 10/04/2019 at 06:41 »
Another 10 mins of my life that I won't get back !!!!!!!!!!!!!

James Laraway

« Reply #5 on: 10/04/2019 at 09:25 »
all a bit of a 'faff'

I think what it does do is slow everything down so that the cast creates very little disturbance which is probably a good thing - but you could probably do that anyway by just slowing everything down anyway.

If you want to cast with very little disturbance just use a single hander and an overhead cast  :X2

One thing that cracks me up is the amount of people on a small river of the higher reaches of a bigger river is people breaking out 14 or 15ft rods and ripping up the water with various spey casts when they would land far more fish with a more delicate approach using a single hander...

Hamish Young

« Reply #6 on: 10/04/2019 at 18:10 »
Euan comes pretty close to my thinking.... if I'm being charitable it's an exhibition or trick cast built into something more than it is.
If I'm not being charitable it's a casting fault masquerading as something  more than it is...  :X1

@Steven - yes, I do believe that was your summation 'in the other place'  :wink

What worries me a little is that Michael is a qualified casting 'master instructor' under the guise of the EFCA (European Fly Casting Association)... or at least he claims to be.... and he is running courses on rod born anchors FFS :shock :!
So not being familiar with the EFCA  :oops I looked it up and you know what :?
For the life of me, I can't find his name in their list of current alumini  :z8 Perhaps they disliked the concept of the rod born anchor so much, he was turfed out  :? :!
Who can say  :z8

What I will say here is use the rod born anchor at your peril  :z17

H

Jim Eddie

« Reply #7 on: 10/04/2019 at 18:25 »
pish

Eddie
Don't hold back , tell it like it is  :z4

:z18

Jim

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #8 on: 10/04/2019 at 20:39 »
I will have to stop doing that :oops Derek Roxborough

Terry Coging

« Reply #9 on: 11/04/2019 at 08:38 »
Being a deaf person I had to watch it with sub titles - quite funny - using the 'road' to anchor the line etc.  I wonder how it works in a strong wind and with a good current? I've been doing it for years without intending to. As Derek said "I must stop doing that"  :z4

OK we do not need to re invent the wheel but development has to continue, otherwise we would have four lumps on granite on the corners of our cars.  My 15' Loch rod project is looking good.

Iain Stewart

« Reply #10 on: 12/04/2019 at 13:21 »
Looks like a bairn trying to untangle a duff cast.   :z4

Iain Cameron

« Reply #11 on: 13/04/2019 at 07:21 »
When will he do the next episode, "Foliage-based anchors"... that's definitely something we can all relate too...

Hamish Young

« Reply #12 on: 13/04/2019 at 19:39 »
When will he do the next episode, "Foliage-based anchors"... that's definitely something we can all relate too...
:z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4  :z16

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com