Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Derek Roxborough

Re: Highland lochs 2019
« Reply #15 on: 20/08/2019 at 15:53 »
yes but I don't post Rapalas,many people on this site live near grouse moors and I hear one or two of them actually shoot,and probably use grouse in their fly tying :z12 Derek Roxborough

James Laraway

« Reply #16 on: 02/09/2019 at 09:15 »
So, I managed to grab an hour yesterday on a local 'lochan'.

Its a big 'pond' and very peaty. I found it last year as as its only 10 mins away from the house its good when time is limited - and its chock full of wee trout.

Due to all the rain it was a foot higher than normal but it didn't fail to disappoint as I was 'in' on the 1st cast. On the far bank when I cant get to by foot the inflow burn was raging in. I'll have to take the tube there to get across the far side.

Just shows how the colouration of trout changes due to their environment.

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #17 on: 02/09/2019 at 18:55 »
So, I managed to grab an hour yesterday on a local 'lochan'.

Its a big 'pond' and very peaty. I found it last year as as its only 10 mins away from the house its good when time is limited - and its chock full of wee trout.

Due to all the rain it was a foot higher than normal but it didn't fail to disappoint as I was 'in' on the 1st cast. On the far bank when I cant get to by foot the inflow burn was raging in. I'll have to take the tube there to get across the far side.

Just shows how the colouration of trout changes due to their environment.

I wonder how old that trout is 🤔

:z18

Steven.

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #18 on: 02/09/2019 at 22:37 »
looks as thought it may be partial to its smaller cousins by the size of its mouth, we have some wee cannibal trout in some of our wee lochs I had one last year of about 1/2lb with a mouth like a crocodile, took a silver Invicta, I've had a small trout on for it to be attacked by another about twice the size, we had a biologist doing a survey for our club some of the small trout he sampled he said they were 10 to 14 years old this was with 5 to 6in. trout, and as black as your hat, these were very peaty lochs, Derek Roxborough   

James Laraway

« Reply #19 on: 03/09/2019 at 09:21 »
I don't think that trout will have made it to 6 inches !

It took what was a soldier palmer. The fly was new on and the trout totally destroyed it. Ribbing and hackle were wrecked.

The lochan is really, really peaty and has a decent burn coming in and out. Despite looking 'feeding poor' it seems to have a massive number of very small fish in it

I'd be amazed if there is anything approaching 1lb in there but as its only 10 mins from the house it is great to pop down to for a bit of sport. Judging from all of the improvised rod rests made out of twigs it is fished by other but that has not dented the volume of fish in it.

How old can trout get  ?

Jim Eddie

« Reply #20 on: 03/09/2019 at 16:42 »
According to the Wild Trout Trust, up to 20 years
 :z18
Jim

James Laraway

« Reply #21 on: 08/09/2019 at 19:37 »
So, the family plans were thrown into chaos this weekend, but it did mean that I got out for 3 hours this morning.

Arrived at the loch to find a bit of a wind blowing and the sun beating down at 9am.

So, instead of going for my usual floater or intermediate I went for a fast sinker as there was no sign of life.

A few casts in, just as I was lifting off there was a swirl - but no contact....so moved spots, moved spots again - nothing.

Headed up the far side of the loch, casting and casting but no luck. I changed flies and included a fly that has brought me luck this year.

Prior to this year I never fished muddlers - but I bought a few when I was in Orkney ( never cast them after breaking my rod) and the trout of inverness seems to like this one in particular ( anyone know what its name is ? Mr Liddle ?)

10 mins later I get a really gentle take so think " small one...."

until I see a nice flank turn in the water.

What a lovely result on a really tough mornings fishing. A lovely pristine wild trout . The John Norris Ni1 did its job beautifully  :z16

James Laraway

Highland lochs 2019
« Reply #22 on: 29/09/2019 at 09:48 »
having missed the worst of the weather this weekend I headed out in the tube for a few hours.

Sadly the weather was nothing like as nice as its been this week but nothing to put me off.

Fished for about 1 1/2 hours but nothing then all of a sudden a tug on the line and then it was off. Follow much cursing as I thought that would be my only chance. Not to be deterred I cast to the same spot and the fish took again . Result..

in the next 20 mins I caught another slightly smaller fish and missed another but that was it for the day.

Probably the last wild trip of the season.

Over the next few months the #9 and #10s will be out for the pike..

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com