Fishing The Fly Forum, based in Aberdeenshire,  Scotland

James Laraway

Highland lochs 2019
« on: April 06, 2019, 15:26:15 PM »
Has my first trip into the hills yesterday as the forecast said no wind - which of course was wrong.

Arrived at a loch up in the hills that I tried for the 1st time last sept and 'bagged up' on

Of course the wind was blowing a hooley - straight into the area I wanted to fish which made casting a fly into the teeth of the wind more than a little 'hairy' - so I went for a walk and cast round the shore.

Got  my first fish on a 'new' fly from my vice - the 'Dunkeld sparkler'

After going round the entire loch the wind died down a little so I put a cone head fly on the point, the dunkeld on the 1st dropper and a muddler I tied for my trip to Orkney this summer on the bob.

( sorry about the picture. It has got a peach marabou tail)

Pleased to say I got my 1st fish on a muddler  :z16

As i was in my preferred spot the fish came hard and fast. I got about a dozen wild brownies in about 45 mins ( and missed a lot more) before my hands got too cold so i had to abandon ( gloves were in the car ....)

A great first trip . Can wait to go back to the loch once it warms up !

James Laraway

Re: Highland lochs 2019
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2019, 19:49:06 PM »
2nd trip of the year today, to a very different loch.

This one had far fewer trout in it, so has the potential for them to be a bit bigger.

I was hoping that the wind would stay down as it was due to be nice and warm today so I was hoping for a nice hatch.

However, arrived at the loch and it was blowing an absolute gale. Gutted.

Fished one side of the loch and nothing.

Changed sides. Waded into the water and popped my flies into the water while I pulled line off the reel to get ready to cast.

Started lifting and thought " for goodness sake, my goats toes has stuck to the bottom...."

well, the bottom decided it did not like having a goats toe in its mouth and took off !

Good fish I thought, until I lifted the net with the fish in it - what a weight.

Didn't get a weight but as you can see it was a real stonker

Euan Innes

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2019, 19:55:54 PM »
Nice work James  :z16
Proper loch Broon right there.

Euan
Living with deep, full breaths is the way of the trout. Fish, it seems, are the ultimate teachers in breathing.
RC Cone

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2019, 00:04:06 AM »
well done, being a soft so&so I am waiting 'til it warms up , I was up today but still a nip in the air , Derek Roxborough

James Laraway

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2019, 07:46:06 AM »
I think I need to trademark my new ‘killer’ technique ‘the static goats toe ‘ 🤔

James Laraway

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2019, 12:47:44 PM »
went out to a local loch last night, dodging the awful weather....

Typical - its lovely and warm all day, no wind and ass soon as i hit the road it starts teaming it down....gah

Anyhow, it was a loch ive not fished properly for a few years. Last time i took 'the tube' there i was amazed to find lots of boats on the loch so was worried it would be fished out ( id only caught small trout there before)

How wrong i was ! I a couple of hours i got about 20 fish, some 'wee crackers' up to just over 35 cms and boy did they put up a scrap !

The first fish took a silver Invicta came up like a great white nailing a seal ! What a take !

the fly that did the real damage was a soldier palmer - out-fished the other flies 5 to one ! Sometimes the traditionals are the best

Hamish Young

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2019, 19:33:07 PM »
Top banana  :z16
“When tired at last, he sat on the bank, while the river still chattered on to him, a babbling procession of the best stories in the world, sent from the heart of the earth to be told at last to the insatiable sea.”

Allan Liddle

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2019, 13:41:50 PM »
Great stuff James and top dibbling.
I've heard there's a lot of little fish in a water we both know well this year, wondered if you'd seen anything?

PM if you don't want to say on here  :wink

Forum moderators : Mike Barrio - Hamish Young - Sandy Nelson

Barrio Fly Lines, designed in Scotland ... Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines - www.flylineshop.com - At the heart of your fishing ..... lies a great fly line!

© Copyright www.fishingthefly.co.uk all rights reserved

Please click here to read our cookies and privacy information before using our website forum