Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Anthony Lomas

Lochindorb: free to fish or not?
« on: 27/03/2019 at 11:05 »
Hi,

Can anybody help please? I'm trying to find out if Lochindorb is free to fish or not. I can't find any info about it anywhere.

Cheers

James Laraway

Re: Lochindorb: free to fish or not?
« Reply #1 on: 27/03/2019 at 14:13 »
as far as i know it is - it is fly fishing only thought....

Jim Eddie

« Reply #2 on: 27/03/2019 at 16:45 »
Yes it is free to fish, unless it's changed from the last time I fished it. Not sure about fly only though as some idiot introduced Pike. So you get folk with 4 rods set up fishing dead baits.

:z18
Jim

Anthony Lomas

« Reply #3 on: 27/03/2019 at 17:33 »
Thanks chaps. Now the question is can I take my pick of spinning and fly?

Andy Finlay

« Reply #4 on: 01/04/2019 at 13:24 »
There are signs up for fly only. I wouldn’t bother fishing it anymore unless you want to fly fish for pike.
It’s a shame as used to be a really fun place but I’ve fished it quite a few times over the last couple of years and it’s been decimated. Some blame the number of people fishing and others Pike, I’m of the belief it’s the 2nd one that’s the issue but not something I’m going to get in an arguement about.

James Laraway

« Reply #5 on: 01/04/2019 at 13:30 »
Hi Andy

I would have thought that the introduction of pike would have decreased the trout numbers yes, but that the trout would now be of a bigger average size ?
 I take it that does not seem to be the case ?

For the pike to thrive there needs to be a huge number of prey fish in comparison to the pike otherwise they run out of things to eat.

Sounds like i need to head up there with the float tube and the #10 …

regards
James

Anthony Lomas

« Reply #6 on: 01/04/2019 at 13:58 »
Thanks for the info chaps.

Now I'm completely undecided....should I give it a go or not? I was hoping to head up with my young nephew; me fly  fishing, him spinning...

Anthony Lomas

« Reply #7 on: 01/04/2019 at 13:59 »
Can anybody recommend any other free-to-fish lochs in the area please?

Anthony Lomas

« Reply #8 on: 24/04/2019 at 23:48 »
I can definitely confirm that there are shed-loads  of pike in Lochindorb. I went there in search of trout and only landed pike in three hrs.

I drove along the southern and eastern sides of the loch, all the way to the northern end but didn’t see one single sign at all about fishing, let alone saying that it’s fly only.

James Laraway

« Reply #9 on: 25/04/2019 at 07:09 »
Looks like I know where I’m heading with the #10 fly rod on Saturday then! Did you catch many pike and of any size ?
In terms of trout the water  will still be very cold...

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com