Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Anthony Lomas

Hi all,

I wonder if you can give me some advice please...?

I'll be having a week in Aviemore in mid-April and would love to do a bit of fishing on the Spey or any local lochs.  I've got both fly and spinning gear.

I'm very new to fly fishing and have only ever fished still waters.

I'd like to go for salmon, trout and sea-trout and don't mind using fly or lure.

Can anybody please give me some simple advice on where to go, where's best for spinning, where's best for fly and where is easily accessible?

Many thanks,

Anthony

Ali Mcewan

A lot of the spey is accessible around aviemore, maybe a tad too early but there will be salmon up there by now, albeit not in great numbers.
Plenty hill lochs etc in the area too.
Certainly a bonnie area to fish

Anthony Lomas

Many thanks for that.

Do you have any tips on which lochs to fish for trout, please?

Derek Roxborough

Probably all of them,  :z18 Derek Roxborough

Anthony Lomas

Hi Derek,

Thanks for your reply.

As a relative newbie with little experience I’m after specific advice about easily accessible ones, probably with bank side fishing. Do you have any recommendations?

🍻

Ali Mcewan

A bit abernethy & aviemore angling just posted

Well that’s us off the mark now. A couple of springers caught at Lagyie this morning. One at about 7lbs and one at 9lbs. Both caught on the spinner.

There seems to be a lot of fish in the lagyie area so looks like it’s the place to be. From the shed right down the the croys. Reports of a few fish that haven’t been landed from here aswell.

Remember all fish have to be reported to Stuart Voce within 48 hours. His details are on season tickets and day tickets.

Tight lines. 🎣🎣🎣🎣

Anthony Lomas

That’s great. Thanks for that. Can anybody recommend which pools are best for fly and which for spinner please?

Anthony Lomas

Hi Ali,

Can you give me any tips on the lures you use please?

Ali Mcewan

Flying C's are popular, as are rapala style plugs.  Never go wrong with Devon minnows or Toby's.
In general with spring fishing, get it down deep & fish it slow

Anthony Lomas

Much obliged Ali, that's great.

So sinking lures are best then? Which pools do you recommend for spinning on the Aviemore or Abernethy beats please?

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com