Fishing The Fly Forum, based in Aberdeenshire,  Scotland

James Middleton

Re: River Don Trout Event
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2019, 21:24:33 PM »
Sorry about the photos, not sure why they've rotated
You see things and say, why? But I dream things that never were and say, why not? G.B.S

Mike Barrio

« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2019, 21:25:55 PM »
Mobile phone?
www.flylineshop.com   At the heart of your fishing ..... lies a great fly line!

James Middleton

« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2019, 21:28:09 PM »
Yes
You see things and say, why? But I dream things that never were and say, why not? G.B.S

Mike Barrio

« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2019, 21:51:41 PM »
Not sure how you get a mobile pic downloaded properly ...... maybe some of the other forum members know  :z8
www.flylineshop.com   At the heart of your fishing ..... lies a great fly line!

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2019, 11:27:11 AM »
Not sure, but I do know if you go into the gallery by clicking on your photo you can then rotate through 270 degrees and save and it should change in the page after a refresh, if not then you can redo the link with the rotated picture. The fact that you need to rotate them by 270 degrees infers to me that the software automatically rotated them 90 degrees on upload, why? Who knows :z8
But changing them in the gallery does work, Iíve had to do it a few times  :z16

Sandy
John Geirach 1999 "Millions of trout have died of old age before i could catch them and there's not a damn thing i can do about that"

Don Fishery Board

« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2019, 15:57:12 PM »
River Don Trout Event
April / May 2019

The beats participating in the first ever Don Trout Event. Cottown/Bellabeg, Alford AA, South Waterside,Castle Forbes Estate, Kemnay AC, Fetternear, Kemnay Beat 3, Inverurie AA, Kintore AC, ADAA and Grandhome Estate.
I'd like to thank all the proprietors for kindly donating fishing days to the event and also to Mike Barrio for allowing us promote and post updates throughout the event on his website. 

Week 1 Report
River levels remained on the high side for the lower beats, coupled with blustery easterly winds made for less than ideal conditions throughout the first week. Water temps hovered around a cool 7 and 8c. However the majority of the participating anglers landed brown trout over all the beats from 8 inches up to a fantastic 4lb Don specimen of a fish. Nymphs, wets and streamers patterns all worked best. Despite fly life appearing on the surface, mainly Large Dark Olives and some March Browns the trout have still not switched on up top and very few fish were landed on dries. All the trout reported were in excellent order for the time of year so have obviously been getting plenty feeding off the bottom.
Again a mixed bag of weather for the week ahead but river levels are falling and clearing so hopefully some dry fly action ahead.

Many thanks to all anglers who have posted on the event page its been a great start.

Nearly all participating beats are available to book through FishPal website where further details can be found on each fishery.
https://www.fishpal.com/Scotland/Don/ or please check out our Facebook page @riverdonscotland

Martin Webster
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 17:57:50 PM by Don Fishery Board »

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2019, 19:48:31 PM »
Had my day out on Castle Forbes today.

Took Glass and Grass for the day out, one for the nymph and one for the dry, not often i carry 2 rods, but it was an experiment as i was rather excited about being on Forbes after all these years.

So it was an interesting day with Hatches on the go from 11am right through till 4pm, Olives and March browns at different points.
However there were only a handful of rising fish, i measured the water temp and it was still just 9 degrees, But the PTN started things off quite well

Some nice water for it though, although you can just imagine the rising fish.

There was the odd rising fish in the fast water, but nothing spectacular, though they were keen for the CDC spider

Lots of superb water to explore, although it seemed the nymph was a better option.

I did manage to find one cracking fish sweeping a Vee at the tail of a pool, i didn't know he was a cracker until he took the fly, but all hell broke loose as he snaffled a CDC spider and proceeded to jump around all over the place, unfortunately he managed to wrap  the tippet round his nose and then he came in quite quickly, i should have guessed what would happen next, as i put the net in the weeds as usual to unhook the fish, i had to unwrap the tippet from round his nose, the second he was free, he took off like a rocket and before i knew it was back in the river, but what a lovely fish and this time on the Dry :z12

Next one was a bit smaller, but i managed a picture :X1

Still i wandered the whole beat and managed a few fish from each run, i saw a pair of Kingfishers a couple of deer and 4 Salmon moved in 4 different pools, A great day, with the best conditions so far for one of my days out.

Cheers

Sandy
John Geirach 1999 "Millions of trout have died of old age before i could catch them and there's not a damn thing i can do about that"

† Forum moderators : Mike Barrio - Hamish Young - Sandy Nelson

Barrio Fly Lines, designed in Scotland ... Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines - www.flylineshop.com - At the heart of your fishing ..... lies a great fly line!

© Copyright www.fishingthefly.co.uk all rights reserved

Please click here to read our cookies and privacy information before using our website forum