Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Don Fishery Board

River Don Trout Event
« on: 15/03/2019 at 13:54 »

Participate in the first Trout Fishing Event taking place on the River Don this spring. The River Don Fishery Board are hosting the event involving eight beats throughout the catchment. Starting date 8th April through till 3rd June trout anglers will be given an opportunity to fish one day on each different beat per week and experience the quality of wild brown trout fishing that the river has to offer. No charge will occur to participate although anglers will be permitted to comply with certain consents.

Places are limited to eight so anglers wishing to take part should in the first instance email their interest to participate along with name and contact details by 21st March. A ballot will then take place whereupon those successfully chosen will be notified and given further details.

martin@riverdon.org

Sandy Nelson

Re: River Don Trout Event
« Reply #1 on: 15/03/2019 at 16:05 »
Sounds like great fun Martin,
You have an email  :z16

Cheers

Sandy

Dave Robb

« Reply #2 on: 16/03/2019 at 00:32 »
Indeed.

Email sent.

Ali Mcewan

« Reply #3 on: 17/03/2019 at 09:32 »
Do I get a free place for the advertising photo  :X2

Don Fishery Board

« Reply #4 on: 22/03/2019 at 08:46 »
Many thanks to all the anglers who submitted an interest for the upcoming Trout Event. We received a great response but unfortunately only 8 places were available.
Anglers successfully drawn will be notified later today with further details.

Martin

Hamish Young

« Reply #5 on: 24/03/2019 at 08:14 »
If a forum member si one of them, it would be an interesting topic to follow - hint  :z18

Ali Mcewan

« Reply #6 on: 24/03/2019 at 20:30 »
Il get it started after the first day, unless sandy or liam beat me too it 🎣

Don Fishery Board

« Reply #7 on: 07/04/2019 at 17:07 »
River Don Trout Event - week commencing 8th April

I just want to wish the eight participating anglers all the very best for the opening week on their allocated beats.
Fingers crossed the river settles and weather improves. I plan to post updates weekly once I have received feedback from the anglers fishing.
Any issues or queries whist your out fishing please give me a call.

Martin Webster

Iain Cameron

« Reply #8 on: 09/04/2019 at 08:39 »
Thanks Martin,
I’m planning to be Out tomorrow, if the river keeps dropping

Don Fishery Board

« Reply #9 on: 12/04/2019 at 13:57 »
Don Event Anglers

All those who wish to post photos and feedback from their day can you please now use this topic page to do so.
It just helps keeps all Don Event stuff together.

Many thanks
Martin

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #10 on: 12/04/2019 at 14:00 »
So the first day out for me on the Don fishing event.

I did wonder if it was starting the way it was meant to go on :z7

So i was at Cottown and Bellabeg.
However i found my way to the river, and what a lovely looking beat it is.

Lots of water to cover, but i did the whole beat from top to bottom

And then from bottom to top  :z7

The water temperature was just 7 degrees and she was carrying a little colour, but despite this there were plenty flies coming off from midday onwards

Not a rising fish to be seen, so it was a day spent nymphing and searching out the likely looking spots, eventually i was rewarded with a quick pull and the result was this lovely little fella

once he was returned i plonked the nymph back in the same spot and the immediatley met with a solid resistance that then ran towards me, so i had no idea what i'd hooked until i got the line back on the reel and then it took off :z16
So after a really good scrap and negotiating an overhanging bush, i got him onto the shallows and he posed for some pictures while he recovered.

Cracking looking fish, with deep gold belly and big spots

Big teeth in there too

Its a funny old game this fishing lark, a whole day spent wandering and searching the water and then 2 fish in 2 casts from the same spot.
So a new beat for me ticked off, some awesome bits to go back and fish again, including a 50 yd bit of the best looking trout water i think i've ever seen.
Proper dryfly water, if only the conditions had been a bit better, but who am i to complain :z12 i had a great day and it was worth the hike just to see that fish.

:z18

Sandy

Iain Cameron

« Reply #11 on: 12/04/2019 at 15:09 »
Grandhome, W/c 8 April, 2019

I fished the Grandhome beat on Wednesday as part of the Don 8 Event. The water was still  rather coloured, and higher and therefore deeper & faster than I would have liked.There's a LOT of water - 3 miles or so - but I covered a fair bit of ground. [/size]Saw one rising trout around 1pm. Caught it. So my success rate was 100%.... Half-heartedly nymphed for a bit, but was mostly happy to wander in the sun and have a good old look around. LIke clockwork, a good hatch of LDOs from midday onwards, not many MBs in evidence, though in truth I was wandering a lot and perhaps not as attentive as I could have been Some big old trout there, as the salmon anglers related... Anyone fishing there in the next week or two, while the water stubbornly refuses to drop, would do well to pack a streamer or two...  It's an interesting stretch; lots of deep, dramatic plunges. Would like to return at lower water levels as I suspect there's a lot more sport to be had. cheersiain[/color]

Scott Cumming

« Reply #12 on: 12/04/2019 at 17:39 »
Yesterday I fished Fetternear on the Don 8 event.

Water still very cold and carrying some colour. Had the dry fly rod set up in optimism but very few trout surfaced despite the steady trickle of flies.

So the day was spent nymphing, plenty of small trout in the morning with a couple of bigger ones in the afternoon.

:z18
Scott

Liam Stephen

« Reply #13 on: 15/04/2019 at 20:11 »
Kemany AC is a cracking stretch! I just wish it wasn't so windy and some flies were hatching. Still I messed about with nymphs and streamers. Hoping for some dry fly action this weekend.

Cheers
Liam

James Middleton

« Reply #14 on: 15/04/2019 at 21:23 »
I started the event at Castle Forbes on Saturday, was cold, bright and very windy. Had a cracking day on a lovely stretch of river catching some beautiful fish.

👍   :z18

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com