Fishing The Fly Forum, based in Aberdeenshire,  Scotland

Rick Van Camp

Alternative to SLX for 6wt Med-Fast Action?
« on: March 07, 2019, 14:04:14 PM »
My son recently expressed difficulty in casting his new 6wt rod/line well.  We live in the Great Lakes region of the US.  I introduced him to fly fishing last year.  At the time we owned 4wt med-fast action rods.  I equipped both rods with 5wt Smallstream line in an effort to make it easier for him to experience success with early casting.  This worked extremely well for him and he enjoyed the experience tremendously.

We purchased 6wt rods later in the summer and I equipped both of these with the SLX in a 6wt.  However, we did not get to use these 6wt rods last fall because the roofing project on our home grew without bounds resulting from the plywood condition (I had to replace ~ 65% of the roof sheeting).  Does Mike offer a line that remains a true 6wt or, perhaps a 6.5wt, that might offer the assistance my son may need?  I prefer to refrain from over-lining if at all possible and I know "half-weight lines" are recently available on the market.  I need to give him time to practice and gain confidence with what he currently has before intervening.  I suspect muscle memory will provide him with some level of assistance for this issue.

We will be using the 6wt rods as our primary gear this year so, I want to ensure he continues to have a positive experience.  Dry fly fishing will be the priority yet, I will expand this to nymphing or sinking line use as we progress.

Duncan Inglis

Re: Alternative to SLX for 6wt Med-Fast Action?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2019, 14:28:37 PM »
I fish a #6 SLX off my Loop 9’ Cross #6 and it balances perfectly.
Have a look at the Barrio website, Mike includes head lengths and weights on the site.

Hamish Young

Re: Alternative to SLX for 6wt Med-Fast Action?
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2019, 17:07:13 PM »
What rod are you using there Rick :?
“When tired at last, he sat on the bank, while the river still chattered on to him, a babbling procession of the best stories in the world, sent from the heart of the earth to be told at last to the insatiable sea.”

Forum moderators : Mike Barrio - Hamish Young - Sandy Nelson

Barrio Fly Lines, designed in Scotland ... Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines - www.flylineshop.com - At the heart of your fishing ..... lies a great fly line!

© Copyright www.fishingthefly.co.uk all rights reserved

Please click here to read our cookies and privacy information before using our website forum