Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Dave Mundie

Re: Waulkmill tomorrow (Fri 11th Jan)
« Reply #30 on: 14/01/2008 at 17:13 »
All this info is great, I'm taking Iain up on his offer to try his #6 and i might pop up and see Mike at haddo and get a feel for some others weights (not sure bout boats though).

I bought one of the rimfly reels from ebay so thats my #7 sorted for floating and intermediate (just need the line) and if i decide that a #6 would be better its a kit for my son to start with (he's 7 in May so may need to get him going now).

But I guess at the end of the day I've only been fly fishing since Nov 07 so maybe I'm trying to run before I can walk  :)

Dave

Jim Eddie

« Reply #31 on: 14/01/2008 at 17:20 »
Dave

You are dead right , its good to ask questions and gain information, get to know other anglers etc but there is nothing like just getting out and fishing and learning from your experience.

One of the reasons that fishing is so enjoyable though is that you are always learning , no one ever has all the answers. Give Haddo a go though , no one is less comfortable with boats than me and If I can manage so can you , Mike's a great guy he will keep you right.

Cheers 

Jim

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #32 on: 14/01/2008 at 18:15 »
Dave

The loon might struggle with a longer 7wt, i started Daniel fly fishing with a 7ft 5/6wt, that he could manage no probs at 5, he has since progressed to a 8ft6 5/6 that he bought himself and has used this since 8, he loves it and his casting has slowly got better, he puts out a lovely line now and regularly catches more than me :roll

The best thing though is to take them fishing, not take them fishing with you, if you see what i mean, I only had daniel fishing for the first couple of years and when he got fed up after an hour or so we went home, when he caught fish we seemed to stay for 2-3hrs before getting bored. To start with i asked if he wanted to go and only went when he said yes (otherwise i fished on me own) fairly soon he was asking to go, after about a year and a half of him fishing, he wanted me to fish too, the rest as they say is history, I now have a great boat partner, incidently he finds it much easier to fish from the boat than from the bank, Mike's boats are really stable.

The clear intermediate mike does is as good as the best on the market, and much better value :z16

I'll ask daniel if he wants to lend you his old rod for the bairn, he never uses it now and might be happy to lend it for a while to see if he enjoys it.

Sandy

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com