Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Jim Eddie

Re: Waulkmill tomorrow (Fri 11th Jan)
« Reply #15 on: 11/01/2008 at 20:28 »
Dave

Thats reel with 3 spools not 3 lines , for a beginner thats fine , reels are not that important. If you get hooked you may want something more flash.

I fyou don't have a lot of money to spend the reel is probably the best ite to compromise on , I would get the best lines you can for the money though, you can't go wrong with Mikes lines.

:z18

Jim

Dave Mundie

« Reply #16 on: 11/01/2008 at 20:45 »
Mike if you scroll further down it has the reel, spools + 3 lines and 3 fly boxes for £50.

I think it's worth going for what you think?

Dave

Jim Eddie

« Reply #17 on: 11/01/2008 at 20:52 »
See it now Dave , for abeginner thats not a bad deal , as I've said though if you are "Hooked" you will want to upgarde.

Jim

Mike Barrio

« Reply #18 on: 11/01/2008 at 22:51 »
I want to say yes ........... but :z6

Tricky one for me to comment on, but I will. In my experience at the fishery one of the biggest problems that beginners come up against is frustration, frustration that they can't cast well enough and then their confidence drops and they find it hard to catch ........ forum members will, I'm sure, back me up in saying confidence catches fish :wink

More often than not, this is down to "kit fly lines" which are frequently rubbish :z7 Your fly line is possibly your most important item of tackle :wink

If the 3 fly lines are good quality, fine! If they are not, they could ruin your fun :z6

I cannot comment on what the 3 lines in this case are for obvious reasons ( hopefully the other forum members can help you there ) but I will say that one good fly line is worth more to you than 10 bad ones!

If you are not sure ........ then I would buy the reel and look for a good fly line :wink

Best wishes
Mike

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #19 on: 12/01/2008 at 10:22 »
Dave i would have to agree with Mike on this

Your line IS the MOST important item as regards your ability to cast and the enjoyment you will get.
I go so far as to actually build rods to match lines, it sounds daft but if you find a line you really get on with its worth building your gear around it.
A good line casts well on any rod.
And they dont have to cost much, a lot of cheaper lines are OK, very much its a case of hit and miss, its the same with Millends and seconds, some people swear by them as you get a great deal, however anyone who is honest will tell you they get more bad/average lines than a decent one.

You must have a reel already, so do you have a spool for it? can you get one? or is it cheaper to buy another basic reel often about a tenner.

Then spend the rest on a Mallard floater and a Moorhen Intermediate, it might sound like a sales pitch, but quite a few of us on the forum helped Mike to develop the lines and they are a genuine performance bargain. Plus you can try them out first at Haddo to see which  size suits you and your gear, this is worth waiting for  :z16
They will make your fishing feel better and more enjoyable. It does make a real difference.

Sandy

Dave Mundie

« Reply #20 on: 12/01/2008 at 11:40 »
Sandy

My reel at the moment is an "Intrepid Rimfly" i dont know what weight it is but it has is "Reg" on the underside of the part that fits on to the rod. I dont think you'd get spools for it now as its approx 26 years old (yes thats how long ago i tried fishing).

My line is a Shakespear WTF 7 floating.

Rod is a Shakespear 9.5ft 7/8.

Just had a look on ebay for intrepid rimfly and found 3 reels the same as mine and they're all under £10 so i guess i'd be best off buying 1 or 2 and spending the rest on lines, but as i already got a floating i guess i only need to get a intermediate or would i really use a sinking?

Dave

Iain Goolager

« Reply #21 on: 12/01/2008 at 17:14 »
Dave,

Purchasing equipment when starting out is a nightmare if you have no one to offer good advice - I have in the past received excellent information on products from tackle suppliers BUT have also seen newcomers given shockingly poor direction when purchasing their first complete set up.

Firstly before going further I'd like to say that IMHO I would advocate that a 6 weight outfit is far more pleasurable and versatile for fishery or river fishing (trout/Grayling) than a 7 or 8 weight outfit - I too started out with 7/8 weight outfits and progressed downwards to a 6 weight approx. 10 -15 years ago. I won a 7 weight outfit in a comp. 2 years ago - used it once and it has not seen the light of day since.....too much like hard work! It'll have it's day with the Sea-Trout or Pike (if I ever get round to it). 

I don't want to sound as if I'm in any way an authority ( 'cos I'm definitely not) but these are the questions that I would be asking if had to introduce you to the sport.

Rather that buying reels and line to fit your existing rod and then finding out that the rod type or weight (line size that is) is not to you liking - is there anyone you know that can loan you an outfit/s so that you can see what suits you best?

I have in my possession a Greys GRX Reel c/w 2 spare spools - one spool has an Aiflo 6WF Ridge line 'Floater' already fitted, one spool has some form of clear intermediate line fitted - most probably a WF6 and a Greys, the final spare spool is empty. This reel has hardly been used is desined to take line sizes 5/6.  Another option (completely up to you) is that you can have the above items FOC but you will have to source a rod to use then with. I leave it up to you.

Today you are trying lures but I can assure you that with the encouragement and advice and that you are receiving from the experienced other Forum members you will be fishing buzzers, nymphs and dries as the season progresses, and I assure you the lighter weight outfit will come into its' own.

let me know if you want the reel and associated bits.

Dave Mundie

« Reply #22 on: 12/01/2008 at 18:57 »
Goolager,

Thanks for the offer I dont know whether to take you up on it or not.

I just replaced my old rod (same age as my reel 26+yrs) as it started to crack, i just bought a shakespere 9 1/2 ft 7/8 as my lines was already wtf7.

I got it from sloans but dont think they would exchange for a 5/6 (even thouh its only been used twice) espically if i dont buy a reel.

Decisions decisions  :z8

Dave

Iain Goolager

« Reply #23 on: 12/01/2008 at 22:14 »
Hi Dave,

I fully understand your dilema, so here's what I propose - I'll loan you a Sharpes 'Gordon' 9' 6Wt rod and the reel c/w spools and lines as previously discussed, that way you will have a comparison between the 6wt and 7/8 wt rods.
You may decide that this suits you better, if so the deal still stands that you can have the reel c/w spools/ lines F.O.C. & you will have to source a rod yourself.
If you prefer your own outfit then no harm done.

I'm very flexible regarding the duration of the loan period as it may take a while to truly test things under various conditions.

One thing I meant to mention before when you asked if a sinking line was necessary........I personally don't have one and no local fisheries spring to mind that can not be fished effectively, all year round, with the use of floater, intermediate, weighted flies, poly-leaders (super fast sink, fast sink, slow sink, intermediate, etc). I'm sure you have a growing wish list of tackle & I'd suggest that you use any funds you have to get yourself the necessities first.

Some people reach for a 'sinker' as soon as Autumn comes to an end and it stays a firm favourite until spring arrives - we are all different.

I'm sure I'll be hearing from you

Dave Mundie

« Reply #24 on: 13/01/2008 at 00:36 »
Goolager,

Where are you based I'm in pitmedden is that anywhere near you?

Dave.

Iain Goolager

« Reply #25 on: 13/01/2008 at 09:30 »
hi dave,

blackburn - sorry typing is poor as im holding the wee man.  ive to nip into work now but ill reply soon - i can meet u half way to give u the kit

got to go

Iain

Dave Mundie

« Reply #26 on: 13/01/2008 at 13:18 »
Iain,

Thats not far i can easily come round to you.

I'll get back to you once i decide what i'm going to do.

Dave

Jim Eddie

« Reply #27 on: 13/01/2008 at 14:23 »
I was out a Waulkmill this morning , still frozen  :roll :roll :roll Should be OK next week , forecast is reasonably mild.

Jim

Mike Barrio

« Reply #28 on: 13/01/2008 at 16:05 »
Hi Dave

Apart from being able to let you try different fly lines on your rods, I usually have a few fly rods with me at the loch, so if you would like to try various weights ......... just ask :cool:

Am hoping to open again from Tuesday :oops

Best wishes
Mike

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #29 on: 13/01/2008 at 21:37 »
Sounds like a great chance to try something new to me :z16

The gordons a pretty reasonable rod too, although IMHO there are better casting rods for less on the market if you know what you are after.

Going from a 7 to a 6 is a good step, personally i would give it a try, but perhaps stick with the 7 for a while before committing to buying a new rod, I would try to get your mitts on a few 5 wts to try as for small stillwaters they rule as allrounders giving the best fun for versatility. Try as many different ones as possible , it pays off in the end as something will feel just right, even to someone of less experience. Mike always has a few customer rods for people who break or forget a rod, they are quite a mixed bunch so worth playing with to find what style you prefer.

I've 3 outfits, i've a 7wt rod for salmon, and large resevoirs, a 5 wt outfit for sea trout and everywhere else when there is a wind blowing and a 3wt outfit i use for everything unless there is a strong wind blowing (sometimes even then). But i'm a little odd so am not keen on even number rods :z4

Poor guy, you're getting bombarded now, by the way as far as cheap reels go the rimfly was and still is KING :z16

Sandy

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com