Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Dave Mundie

Waulkmill tomorrow (Fri 11th Jan)
« on: 10/01/2008 at 13:14 »
Hope the snow dont come tomorrow i'm planning going to waulkmill for a full day, have any of you been latley hows it been any takes, what were you using ect.

Dave

Jim Eddie

Re: Waulkmill tomorrow (Fri 11th Jan)
« Reply #1 on: 10/01/2008 at 17:52 »
Dave

I fished it Satuday , as I stated in another post , most of the guys were fishing lures on sinking /Intermediate lines (including myself) with little to no success, not to say this won't work tomorrow.

I changed to floating line with a bloodworm on the point and buzzer on the dropper and had more success.  You just need to move round the loch to find out where the fish are.

:z18

Jim

Dave Mundie

« Reply #2 on: 10/01/2008 at 18:06 »
Dave

I fished it Satuday , as I stated in another post , most of the guys were fishing lures on sinking /Intermediate lines (including myself) with little to no success, not to say this won't work tomorrow.

I changed to floating line with a bloodworm on the point and buzzer on the dropper and had more success.  You just need to move round the loch to find out where the fish are.

Jim

Jim,

I've only got a floating line don't think i got any bloodworms you can see a link to the contents of my fly box here http://www.fishingthefly.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=850.0

Dave

Jim Eddie

« Reply #3 on: 10/01/2008 at 18:51 »
Dave

Want to buy some flies  :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4

You have a decent enough selection of lures , try a long leader and a slow retreive. Change the colour if that does not work.

If your lures are not working try the buzzers.

Get your self over to Haddo when Mike is well again, buy one of his clear intermediates, to be honest along with your floater taht is all you should need for this part of the country.

Jim     

Hamish Young

« Reply #4 on: 10/01/2008 at 18:55 »
Dave,
Hint for you, on Photobucket you'll see there's an IMG code below each picture, if you click on that it will copy straight away. Go to your post in a forum such as this and simply paste - watch out, some forums (such as this one) have IMG in lower case so you'll have to change IMG to img in the link but the result is:

That puts the picture in your post rather than readers having to follow the link  :z16

Dave Mundie

« Reply #5 on: 10/01/2008 at 18:58 »
Dave,
Hint for you, on Photobucket you'll see there's an IMG code below each picture, if you click on that it will copy straight away. Go to your post in a forum such as this and simply paste - watch out, some forums (such as this one) have IMG in lower case so you'll have to change IMG to img in the link but the result is:

That puts the picture in your post rather than readers having to follow the link  :z16

I thought if you uploaded the pictures it used up space on the forums server?

Dave

Hamish Young

« Reply #6 on: 10/01/2008 at 19:00 »
Shouldn't be too bad as it's essentially just an "active" link to another site  :cool: But Mr B might disagree  :?

Dave Mundie

« Reply #7 on: 10/01/2008 at 19:02 »
Dave

Want to buy some flies  :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4

You have a decent enough selection of lures , try a long leader and a slow retreive. Change the colour if that does not work.

If your lures are not working try the buzzers.

Get your self over to Haddo when Mike is well again, buy one of his clear intermediates, to be honest along with your floater taht is all you should need for this part of the country.

Jim     

Well thats the problem with not knowing whats whats in the fly world. hopefully i'll meet up with some of you guy's someday and you can point me in the right direction.

I stay in pitmedden so not far to pop up and see Mike

Jim Eddie

« Reply #8 on: 10/01/2008 at 19:35 »
Dave

Recognisng all the different flies takes time , its not something that happens overnight , log on to the following site and scroll through the different sections and you'll get an idea on all the flies and their names.

I buy a lot of flies on this site and can reccomend them http://www.fliesonline.co.uk/

Once you  have fished for a while you will build up your collection of favorite flies, generally ones you have caught fish on and have confidence in. You will pobally want a box of lures , wets, dries, nymphys and buzzers.

Now once you have fished for a few seasosns you may wish to consolidate your favourite into one box , don't do as I do and have 15 boxes in case that pattern i bought in 1982 turns out to be  killer one day  :roll

Jim

Dave Mundie

« Reply #9 on: 10/01/2008 at 21:05 »
cheers will let you know how i get on.

Dave

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #10 on: 10/01/2008 at 21:57 »
don't do as I do and have 15 boxes in case that pattern i bought in 1982 turns out to be  killer one day  :roll

But it might be :z4

Is this not the point to flies?, its even worse when you tie your own :z6

I should know :roll
 :z4 :z4 :z4

Sandy

Dave Mundie

« Reply #11 on: 11/01/2008 at 19:03 »
Phoned George before i took my son to school but there was no answer got home he had called back so i called him again but no answer again so i just went anyway.

It was frozen solid when i arrived  :!

So ended up at lochter instead was there from bout 11am and fished till 4pm ish and only had 1 bite the whole time  :cry.

Must have tried nearly everything in my box.

But at least i wasn't alone others were having a tough time of it to.

so after today i'll have to get myself an intermediate but only thing is i'll have to get new reel too as i dont have spools for mine.

Dave

Jim Eddie

« Reply #12 on: 11/01/2008 at 19:20 »
Dave

When I saw the weather in Peterhead this morning I thought you might be out of luck. Don't be disheartened, it can be dificult at this time of year.
If I were you I would buy one of the cartridge type reels , there are many reasonably priced ones, they  supplied with 3 or more spare spools.

Jim

Dave Mundie

« Reply #13 on: 11/01/2008 at 19:35 »
Dave

When I saw the weather in Peterhead this morning I thought you might be out of luck. Don't be disheartened, it can be dificult at this time of year.
If I were you I would buy one of the cartridge type reels , there are many reasonably priced ones, they  supplied with 3 or more spare spools.

Jim

Well i had a good chat with some of the guys and old Sandy he's a great guy.

Was just looking at this CENTURIAN REEL & 3 FLY LINES on here https://secure.legend.co.uk/yga/acatalog/YGA_SPECIAL_OFFERS.html what you think for a beginner like me?

Dave

Mike Barrio

« Reply #14 on: 11/01/2008 at 20:26 »
Hi Dave

Yes, that is a good choice. They do the job perfectly well and they don't break the bank :wink

I think you'll find it is a reel with 3 spare spools ( no lines ) but these reels are usually about £25 to £30.

Best wishes
Mike

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com