Fishing The Fly Forum, based in Aberdeenshire,  Scotland

James Laraway

how do you get peacock herl to lie nicely along salmon flies
« on: February 28, 2019, 14:48:46 PM »
I've been tying up a few monkeys for the new season , and lots of people add peacock herl along the top of them, or the same when added to other flies like this nice example  :z14

seriously how is that done ? When i tie in peacock it goes all over the bloomin place.

any suggetions on how to get it to lie nicely in the shape you want ?

Hamish Young

Re: how do you get peacock herl to lie nicely along salmon flies
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2019, 18:18:21 PM »
In the past I have steamed it into place over a boiling pan of water which is fine so long as the rest of the wing is 'hardy' to that.
These days I tend to leave the herl between leaves of a book a couple of days before tying - usually does the job  :z16

H
“When tired at last, he sat on the bank, while the river still chattered on to him, a babbling procession of the best stories in the world, sent from the heart of the earth to be told at last to the insatiable sea.”

Dave Medlyn

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2019, 07:11:57 AM »
One of the trickiest feather I know to manipulate. There is lots of swearing involved usually!!
I like that book idea!!

Cameron deBoth

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2019, 14:31:31 PM »
Was watching a tying video today by Davie McPhail and remembered about this post. He does exactly this and gives some tips.

Forum moderators : Mike Barrio - Hamish Young - Sandy Nelson

Barrio Fly Lines, designed in Scotland ... Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines - www.flylineshop.com - At the heart of your fishing ..... lies a great fly line!

© Copyright www.fishingthefly.co.uk all rights reserved

Please click here to read our cookies and privacy information before using our website forum