Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

James Laraway

I've been tying up a few monkeys for the new season , and lots of people add peacock herl along the top of them, or the same when added to other flies like this nice example  :z14

seriously how is that done ? When i tie in peacock it goes all over the bloomin place.

any suggetions on how to get it to lie nicely in the shape you want ?

Hamish Young

In the past I have steamed it into place over a boiling pan of water which is fine so long as the rest of the wing is 'hardy' to that.
These days I tend to leave the herl between leaves of a book a couple of days before tying - usually does the job  :z16

H

Dave Medlyn

One of the trickiest feather I know to manipulate. There is lots of swearing involved usually!!
I like that book idea!!

Cameron deBoth

Was watching a tying video today by Davie McPhail and remembered about this post. He does exactly this and gives some tips.

Stuart Cullen

Try my idea of sliding a  4mm silicone pellet bait band used by coarse anglers over the herl.  It should hold it down firmly enough without damage whilst you tie them in and adjust them to your liking. Then slide the band down the hook to remove.
 after tying. It might work. Loads of bands  on eBay for a couple of quid.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com