Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

David Bullough

I am considering buying either an Orvis Clearwater 11ft #7 Switch or a Grey’s GR 60 Switch 11ft 1 inch #7/8.  I am a Salmon fishing novice, but have fished for trout on Stillwaters over last 40 years.  I have a long term muscle disorder, so could not manage heavy Spey rods.  Some advice would be most appreciated on the rods and matching Barrio lines. Thanks

Mike Barrio

Re: Orvis Clearwater Switch v Grey’s GR 60 Switch
« Reply #1 on: 26/02/2019 at 21:33 »
Hi David ..... Welcome to the forum :z16

I'll keep an eye on this and once you've had some feedback from the others regarding rod choices, I'll do my best to help with corresponding lines.

Best wishes
Mike

David Bullough

« Reply #2 on: 26/02/2019 at 21:35 »
Thanks very much.

James Laraway

« Reply #3 on: 26/02/2019 at 22:12 »
Personally I’d spend my money on a Shakespeare oracle switch. Cheap and brilliant!

I am considering buying either an Orvis Clearwater 11ft #7 Switch or a Grey’s GR 60 Switch 11ft 1 inch #7/8.  I am a Salmon fishing novice, but have fished for trout on Stillwaters over last 40 years.  I have a long term muscle disorder, so could not manage heavy Spey rods.  Some advice would be most appreciated on the rods and matching Barrio lines. Thanks

Jeff Donovan

Re: Orvis Clearwater Switch v Grey’s GR 60 Switch New
« Reply #4 on: 26/02/2019 at 23:31 »
Before you jump in with making a purchase, have a look at Simon Gawesworth's video explaining what a switch rod is all about. A decent & informative bit of information.

Hamish Young

« Reply #5 on: 27/02/2019 at 07:56 »
I am considering buying either an Orvis Clearwater 11ft #7 Switch or a Grey’s GR 60 Switch 11ft 1 inch #7/8.  I am a Salmon fishing novice, but have fished for trout on Stillwaters over last 40 years.
The single biggest investment you absolutely must make in the transition to fishing even light double handers will be to spend some time with an instructor.  Particularly because you mention:
I have a long term muscle disorder, so could not manage heavy Spey rods.
A suitably qualified instructor will help you achieve the best results with the minimum of effort and will also be able to help you establish what suits you best - money well spent.
Some advice would be most appreciated on the rods and matching Barrio lines.
The rods you mention are both good, the advantage of the Orvis is the 25 year guarantee if it's bought from Orvis directly or an approved stockist.
H

David Bullough

« Reply #6 on: 27/02/2019 at 08:41 »
Before you jump in with making a purchase, have a look at Simon Gawesworth's video explaining what a switch rod is all about. A decent & informative bit of information.

Thanks the video is very informative. D

David Bullough

« Reply #7 on: 27/02/2019 at 08:45 »
The single biggest investment you absolutely must make in the transition to fishing even light double handers will be to spend some time with an instructor.  Particularly because you mention: A suitably qualified instructor will help you achieve the best results with the minimum of effort and will also be able to help you establish what suits you best - money well spent.The rods you mention are both good, the advantage of the Orvis is the 25 year guarantee if it's bought from Orvis directly or an approved stockist.
H

Thanks.  The Orvis with 25 year Guarantee makes a difference. You are absolutely right.  I am definitely going to invest in some lessons.  This will make the biggest difference I am sure.  D

James Laraway

« Reply #8 on: 27/02/2019 at 11:48 »
Some additional thoughts from me:

Unless you are a 'man mountain' with superhuman strength you will not want to cast a switch rod single handed. I can with my 9ft #6 switch rod but there is no way I could do it with a 11ft plus #8 or #9 ( as its not just the weight of the rod, its also the reel)

The orvis is about £350.

The Oracle switches are under £70 - - so who needs a 25 year guarantee when in the same time you could but 5 oracles ?

I bought one of the oracle scandi 13ft 6s and was so amazed with how they cast i bought a switch rod also.

My 'scandi' as an airflo compact rage on it, the switch a barrio switch

I cant honestly fault the shakespears - i dont know how they do it at that price point !

Dave Robb

« Reply #9 on: 27/02/2019 at 15:41 »
Uttings have the Orvis Clearwater Switch rods, 11’ #7 and #8 weights for £229.

https://www.uttings.co.uk/p121786-orvis-4-piece-clearwater-switch-rod-11ft/

I would go for for Orvis over Greys every day of the week, especially with the 25 yr guarantee,

David Bullough

« Reply #10 on: 27/02/2019 at 17:25 »

Yes, I intend to use it double handed and I take your point about the Shakespeare being exceptional value.

David Bullough

« Reply #11 on: 27/02/2019 at 17:29 »
Uttings have the Orvis Clearwater Switch rods, 11’ #7 and #8 weights for £229.

https://www.uttings.co.uk/p121786-orvis-4-piece-clearwater-switch-rod-11ft/
Thanks,  I was looking at  Uttings and I can get a further 10% off this price , so it makes more sense. D

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com