Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

James Laraway

First cast of 2019
« on: 23/02/2019 at 17:48 »
Seeing as the weather has been lovely these past few days i thought i would see if i could catch a pike so headed to loch alvie today with the float tube. However it was rather spoiled by the wind in the morning so stopped for lunch and took stock.

In the morning i had been fishing a fast sinker, a variety of flies but nothing. I even turned to the 'darker arts' by 'pimping my fly'

In the afternoon i decided to jump onto the nearby loch beag - as it is much shallower i switched to by Barrio Predator intermediate.

And bingo - a hard fishing 8lber came to the tube after a right scrap. The 'killer fly' was a pike imitation 'flashabou' creation

well pleased as its my biggest on the fly and i worked hard for it today

Kerry Jordan

Re: First cast of 2019
« Reply #1 on: 24/02/2019 at 12:29 »
Here's one ugly mug following my pike fly yesterday.
(Water wolf camera - still from video.)

Hamish Young

Re: First cast of 2019
« Reply #2 on: 24/02/2019 at 20:13 »
Yesterday was also my first fishing outing of the season, the early warmth had me out fishing for Salmon in late February.... which is a whole lot earlier than usual  :shock
I was supposed to be fishing with an old fishing buddy I've not fished with for... well, years... but due to unforeseen circumstances he had to cancel. Fortunately my 'neighbour' Jim was able to fill the gap at short notice and it was down to the Garry to try out the new Mackenzie NX1 14' #9wt (well, a pre-production sample at least).
 I can summarise the day thus:
1. The rod is ace, just simply ace.
2. The rain in the Great Glen seemed to mostly fall near Invergarry.
3. I saw two fresh Salmon and a Pike (not at the same time.....)
4. I had a good pull from one of the above, not sure which and it was just a pull.
5. Some bar steward at SSE stopped the generator at midday so we lost all flow -  we went home  :z10
Jim and I on the 'Estuary' pool

Looks nice when there's some water.....

There'll be other chances..... quite excited as I've joined a different syndicate on the Ness this year  :z16

H

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com