Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Dave Mundie

Fishing in Ireland D Day is Fri
« on: 08/01/2008 at 20:07 »
Hi the family are going to Ireland with the caravan this summer for a 2 week holiday, has anyone got any recommendations of where to go ect bearing mind that i wont be able to go fishing everyday (unfortunately).

also do i need any license ect?

Dave

Ross

Re: Fishing in Ireland
« Reply #1 on: 08/01/2008 at 20:09 »
You will need to purchase a license! However, the Irish do not!

Pretty much all the waters in Ireland are tip top, especially for Sea Trout/Salmon! :z16

Dave Mundie

« Reply #2 on: 08/01/2008 at 20:11 »
Where do i purchase it, do i wait till i get there or can i get it here, also what about my 7 year old son does he need one or would mine cover him?

Dave

gunner100

« Reply #3 on: 08/01/2008 at 21:14 »
Hi Dave,

Have fished Ireland a few times. Yes you will require a licence but the Irish also have to buy one. They come in 1 day, 1 week(?) or on an annual basis. The week licence I bought 3 years cost about £12  sterling, now in Euros. In addition you need a ticket from the owner of the water, just as in Scotland.

Most of my fishing was in the west of Ireland, Mayo and Galway. Love Ballina and the River Moy!! Although I do mention above that you need a ticket, that is certainly the case for salmon, many of the loughs are free, eg Conn, Cullin, Mask but a boat is pretty essential. It is quite difficult to rent a boat without a boatman, gillie, but it can be done if you persevere. When you see the rocks and obstructions in the loughs, it becomes clear why there is such a difficulty in hiring a self drive boat on the lough. Local knowledge is essential.

As you say it is a family holiday, Ballina and Mayo have many tourist facilities, Ceide Fields, golf, walks etc but for myself for a mixed age party Galway City is the best.

Hope you have a great time,

Lyall

Dave Mundie

« Reply #4 on: 09/01/2008 at 16:35 »
Lyall,

Thanks for the info will have to decide where were going, i think we'll head straight to the south and make our way back up to the north for the ferry at the end of the 2 weeks.

Dave

Dave Mundie

« Reply #5 on: 01/07/2008 at 21:48 »
Off on fri  :z12

Going to Killarney (Kerry) for the first 5 days then just see where we end up after that, prob wont get much fishing done but it is a family holiday after all.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com