Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Treble hook lures on River Don
« on: 10/02/2019 at 21:44 »
Hi all,

I’m new to fishing the area and looking for some information on spinning tackle for early-season salmon.

The River Don conservation policy for this year suggests that treble hooked lures eg tobies, flying C’s etc aren’t permitted, and that single hooked lures must be used.

Could anyone help with a) where to buy single hooked lures or b) if it’s possible to swap the pre-fitted hooks from trebles to singles, and if so whigh single hooks to use?

Thanks in advance
Andrew

Fred Hay

Re: Treble hook lures on River Don
« Reply #1 on: 11/02/2019 at 06:31 »
Hi Andrew
I don't think that your quite right there - the DDSFB Conservation Code clause H) states -
"Spinning is permitted at the beat’s discretion.   Maximum of one treble hook (barbless) on lure. " and this is a recommendation not a legal requirement so the hook does not need to be barbless.
I would have attached a  copy of the 'Code' but I'm a bit of a dinosaur and don't know how to do that !!
 But you are correct that it is difficult to purchase lures with single hooks - if you have to go that way then you need to cut them off and replace with a single using a small split ring (as a rapala//toby type lure)

Hamish Young

Re: Treble hook lures on River Don New
« Reply #2 on: 11/02/2019 at 10:04 »
......or b) if it’s possible to swap the pre-fitted hooks from trebles to singles, and if so whigh single hooks to use?
Andrew, it's entirely possible to fit singles to pretty much any spinning lure - and they are still effective. The Yanks (and others) have been at it for years. Ideally opt for an in-line style hook,  Mustad, Partridge, VMC and Owner hooks all offer the right hooks. Chances are these are available at a tackle shop near you, so take a lure in and establish what you'll need  :z16

Dave Robb

« Reply #3 on: 11/02/2019 at 13:08 »
I could be wrong, but my understanding of it is that its at the beats discretion and the conservation code is purely guidance.

I. E, the conservation code is against worming.  The adaa have agree to continue to permit worming on the Don.

As for trebles, I assumed we are still permitted to use a single treble on lures when on association waters.

It's certainly not the clearest on the adaa website.  They've cut and pasted the Don Conservation stuff, a lot of which is guidance but not necessarily adaa rules.

James Laraway

« Reply #4 on: 11/02/2019 at 15:48 »
As hamish has said - rapala and many other makers now sell single hooks to allow you to replace the treble's - they eye on the hook is orintated differently to 'normal' single hooks

Dave Robb

« Reply #5 on: 11/02/2019 at 16:54 »
https://www.lureheaven.co.uk/spinning-lure-fishing-shop/Vanfook-PR-55-Predator-Single-Hooks-3826-1.html

Something like that would do the trick if you’re intent on changing to single hooks.

Sizes could be a bit trial and error though.

Fred Hay

« Reply #6 on: 11/02/2019 at 19:54 »
Gents
The Conservation Code on the ADAA website and the DDSFB webpage are still the 2018 version.
Below I've copied the 2019 Code which is very similar but it has some subtle amendments not least the one in respect of treble hooks
Hopefully this will be a bit clearer and you should note that A) to D) are 'legal' requirements and E) to L) are  'recommendations' from the Board for Conservation of salmon to which individual fisheries can interpret or amend as necessary, although in the interests of unity most fisheries try to follow.
Hope that offers some clarification
Fred

PS: On hook size you are probably looking at a #6 or #4 straight eyed bait hook depending on your lure size - most minnows would use a #4 treble and rapalas are #6 (I think)
------------------------------------------------------------------------
THE DON DISTRICT SALMON FISHERY BOARD

24 Hour Emergency Contact Details – 01467 642121

2019 Salmon & Sea Trout Conservation Policy

The Conservation of Salmon (Scotland) Regulations 2016 manage the killing of salmon in rivers based on categorising the conservation status of their stocks. The Scottish Government has categorised the Don as a Category 3 river and therefore all salmon must be returned throughout the 2019 season.

Legal Requirements
A. The salmon fishing season will run from 11th February to 31st October.

B. It is a criminal offence to retain a salmon or grilse throughout the whole of the angling season.  By law any salmon or grilse that is caught must be returned to the river, whether dead or alive. 

C. It is illegal to sell rod caught wild salmon or sea trout, or use knotted nets, tailers or gaffs.

D. It is a legal requirement that proprietors must report catches, so all anglers in turn must make a report of catches to the beat proprietor. Failure to report catches could influence the future category status of the river.

Conservation Code

E. Anglers are encouraged to practice 100% catch and release for the entire season for sea trout and finnock.

F. Anglers are encouraged to fly fish throughout the river catchment. 

G. It is recommended that all hooks should be barbless or crimped.

H. Spinning is permitted at the beat’s discretion. Maximum of one treble hook (barbless) on lure.

I. It is recommended that bait fishing, using the worm only and barbless hooks, is only permitted for junior anglers at the beat’s discretion. There should be no worming in October.

J. Fish returned to the water should be handled carefully with wetted hands and held facing upstream until sufficiently recovered to swim free. Fish should remain in the water at all times.

K. All anglers are requested to disinfect waders and landing nets prior to fishing to prevent the introduction of Gyrodactylus salaris and other diseases to the Don. Further information is available at www.riverdon.org.uk   

L. Any pink salmon that are caught should be retained and the River Office informed on the 24 hour number – 01467 642121.

For guidelines on how to safely release fish or information on fish stocks, please visit our website:
www.riverdon.org.uk 

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com