Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Norman Shirreffs

Thinking of summer
« on: 09/02/2019 at 15:34 »
Hi guys
My first post since joining the group, hello to you all.
Gonna get right back into my fishing this year after a few years away from it.  Moved to Keith and joined the Huntly angling Association 2 yrs ago. Disaster of a year last season, as with all, no water.
I like to have a few days away once a year away with the tent and the rod. Last year I went to loch Craggie in Lairg. again a bit of a disaster as the loch was dead low and flat calm for 3 days. Turned out quite expensive as well as there was no wild camping allowed, so had 4 nights to pay for at the Lairg campsite. You could only get a permit if you joined the Lairg Angling Club, and then there was 3 full days of fishing to be paid for.
My question is. Any recommendations for a few days away for brown trout? Somewhere where i can wild camp for a few days and not have to pay a joining fee to a club for the privilege.
I have a float tube, but don`t mind paying for a boat. Ps i had a couple of days at Lochindorb which is fairly close to me. Don`t know whats happened there as that used to be a place you couldn`t miss. Don`t think i saw a rise for 2 days there. Very strange.
Look forward to any suggestions. Sitting ready to look up your recommendations in  Bruce Sandisons, Trout Lochs of Scotland.
Regards to all for the coming season.
Noddy
Norman Shirreffs
Keith

Eddie Sinclair

Re: Thinking of summer
« Reply #1 on: 09/02/2019 at 16:25 »
Keith,

Welcome to the forum. Head for Assynt. Plenty of wild camping and reasonably priced fishing on more lochs than you could ever need and you don’t have to join a club.

Go west young man, you will not regret it.

Eddie

Mike Barrio

« Reply #2 on: 09/02/2019 at 17:13 »
Hi Norman ..... welcome to the forum :z16

Another vote for Assynt :z12

Best wishes
Mike

Derek Roxborough

Re: Thinking of summer New
« Reply #3 on: 09/02/2019 at 21:03 »
Gairloch, wild camping with care, plenty hill lochs and lochans,Gairloch welcomes careful fly fishers :z18
Derek Roxborough

Norman Shirreffs

« Reply #4 on: 10/02/2019 at 13:48 »
Thanks Derek, any named lochs in particular.
Regards
Noddy

Andy MacArthur

« Reply #5 on: 10/02/2019 at 19:16 »
No wild camping allowed? Hadn’t heard that - the only legal camping ban in force is in the Lomond National Park.  I’m pretty sure that would be a breach of the SOAC?

Norman Shirreffs

Re: Thinking of summer New
« Reply #6 on: 23/02/2019 at 13:53 »
Derek Roxborough, You have an email or private message...... I think  *smiley-grin*

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com