Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Dave Robb

Re: River Don 2019
« Reply #75 on: 01/08/2019 at 00:14 »
Thanks for the reply, I fished it on Monday.

Lots of smaller fish but nothing over 1lb.

I eventually saw the bit you mentioned albeit I initially parked in the lay-by which is about half way along the beat.  Fished around there for a couple of hours, working my way down to the first ‘kept’ pool I found. 

Clearly set up for the Salmon guys, I saw you can get a car right down to the water if needs be.

Around lunchtime I then parked at the top end near to Brux, walking back along the A944 just shy of a mile in order to fish the two closely linked pools which bend away from the road.  The ones with a sloped bank on the far side with dense forestation.

These are two of the nicest looking pools I have ever seen on the Don and produced the better fish for the day falling to nymphs. 

There are other nice pools but they are well spaced out with some serious heavy going in between if you try and stick to the banks.

Some areas are pretty much impossible to get through, forcing you to go up onto the road to walk along to the next fishable bit. On a hot day, just getting back to the road to walk to the next bit was taking it out of me.

I did try walking down through the river to get to the next fishable area, but after a couple of near falls due to the typical Dons slippery rocks and slow progress, I decided lengthy hikes in the water wasn’t the best option.

It was cloudy in the morning but brightened up as the day went on becoming too hot again late afternoon and evening.

I may visit again in the future as you’re right, I never fished the whole beat, pretty much neglecting the lower half.  Overall though I probably prefer other beats up in that area from what I saw.

Ali Mcewan

« Reply #76 on: 01/08/2019 at 12:16 »
Not been on much recently, but after too long trying to christen my new epic on some don gold, I gave up and took it out to see if the silver type would be more obliging!  :z14
And boy did the evening produce  :z12 
The 9’ #5 did itself proud  :z16

Best season on the don for salmon that iv seen in 15+ years!

On another note, it’s great to see so many grilse in the Dee, being this is the year storm frank should have effected  :z16

Mike Barrio

« Reply #77 on: 30/08/2019 at 09:59 »
No trout rising on the river on Wednesday evening, too windy and cold I guess as I didn't see any signs of insect life .... but a wet fly found a few fish :z12

Iain Cameron

« Reply #78 on: 16/09/2019 at 07:46 »

Out on the Don for a few hours over the weekend. Despite the blustery wind that at times tied me up in my own fly line, there were olive duns sailing down, and trout looking up.

Did some refurbishments on the McLean weigh net, replacing the magnets, net bag, and the wee cord loop in the handle, so it was nice to christen it with a few trout:

That was probably the biggest. Ironically I didn’t weigh it as I was too busy fumbling with the camera.
Hope for some settled weather between now and end of month to get a few more trout before close.

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #79 on: 16/09/2019 at 12:09 »
IAIN,

Cracking trout well done good to see that the back end of the season trout are providing good sport on your local water.

Eddie :z16

Mike Barrio

« Reply #80 on: 24/09/2019 at 11:34 »
Not much of the trout season left  :cry ...... hope you're finding time for a few last casts.

Where did this season go?  :z8

Dave Robb

« Reply #81 on: 24/09/2019 at 14:09 »
I’ve not been out much since mid July, just the odd couple of hours here and there without much success. Just feels like every time I’ve had a chance it’s blowing a gale, raining or both.  Or polar opposite with blazing sunshine and heat.

Spoken to a few guys on the river and I’ve yet to hear from anyone that’s had a good season, albeit the ADAA catch reports would suggest that at least the Salmon numbers are up on last year.

There was some awesome fishing reported on here early on in the season but even the forum has been quiet recently.

I’ve got tomorrow and next Monday as possible days to get out so I’m hoping the weather holds up.

Failing that, time to get the feathers out and look forward to April again.  :z18

Scott Cumming

« Reply #82 on: 02/10/2019 at 07:26 »
Visits to the river have been few and far between since July, so it was great to get out for a final fling. I caught several small fish on both nymph and dry with the biggest of the day on the nymph just after lunch…

A golden lump in great condition  :z16

A perfect end to another great season  :z16

:z18
Scott

Mike Barrio

« Reply #83 on: 03/10/2019 at 08:40 »
Sandy and I enjoyed a cracking day on the upper river yesterday  :z12

No fish of note for me, but plenty of fish for the time of year and it was just great to be up there  :z16

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #84 on: 04/10/2019 at 10:26 »
It was a most enjoyable day and smacked of our usual escapades

But now i'm sitting here this morning pondering whether to head out and get wet, just to get that last day in before work tomorrow and a hiatus until March :z8 Its been a tough couple of months, when i've found the time to get out the fish have not been so co-operative, the company has been good though and the surroundings wonderful.

Some nice fish in early september, on an evening with the dry

And wednesdays best was a very pretty seasonal looking fish

But the images i think i'll be taking with me throught the winter are more like these.

And when god shows up and casts some light on the fortunate. :z7

Now do i go out, or just happily retire for the winter and reminisce about a truly superb season, which had many standout moments for me to contemplate. :z13

Sandy

Mike Barrio

« Reply #85 on: 04/10/2019 at 11:01 »
Nice photos Sandy  :z16 ....... here's a couple more.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com