Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Sandy Nelson

Re: River Don 2019
« Reply #60 on: 24/06/2019 at 09:05 »
Well with the rain forecast for today, last night was likely to be the best option for me, before i go back to work this week.

So we headed down to try another flat at the tail of a different pool. 10pm came and so did the fish. Every now and then the Don reminds you why you keep coming back, last night was one of those evenings  :z12
I took the Demo 476 out for its inaugural fish and we all know how good Salsa rods are, this one is a just a belting little dryfly rod, the new spec blanks have improved an already brilliant little rod, i had a lot of fun.

So did Colin, after hearing about the amazing sedge hatches on an evening, he finally got in amongst one and made the most of it. Breaking his PB with a cracking fish that fought well above its already substantial weight.

So we had evening, spent with size 14 and 16 sedges and picked off a lot of really nice fish, in the space of about an hour and a half
The camera was still in impressionist mode but the memory is indelible, not every night that this is the smaller side of the average.

Plenty good size, really hard fighting fish, with a couple of trophies between us, all on the dry on a lovely warm evening with a sky full of colour. What a way to spend an evening :z16

And now its raining again :z6

Sandy

Scott Cumming

« Reply #61 on: 24/06/2019 at 12:26 »
Weekend highlights - some cracking trout on the sedge  :z16

:z18
Scott

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #62 on: 24/06/2019 at 14:55 »
Scott, as I write this having a dram outside my house in Brunei, I am not at all jealous (honest)

Absolute belters and I look forward every day to seeing your and other people’s captures on our fantastic local fishery. Roll on retirement when I can again wonder the banks of the don and hopefully get an opportunity to throw fluff at such magnificent creatures. Well done.

Eddie  :z14

Scott Cumming

« Reply #63 on: 01/07/2019 at 09:50 »
I’ve tempted some cracking trout on recent evening sessions, all taken on various sedge patterns. The trout are all in tip-top condition - some very powerful fish among them, great sport  :z16

Scott

Scott Cumming

« Reply #64 on: 04/07/2019 at 13:28 »
The river has been quiet over the last couple of evenings, the cool breeze has been killing the hatch. There were a few sedge skittering about last night with some trout showing an interest before the wind picked up again...

Scott

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #65 on: 09/07/2019 at 08:29 »
After work last night , it was too good an evening to miss the chance.

So we had a Harfin  night out
Which meant I had a photographer on hand ...... handy  :z12

The mechanical siblings saw some lively sport from  about 10.30pm onwards with steady feeders to the sedges despite the cool breeze that decided to spring up.

So it was a great evening on a favourite piece of water with a good number of fish and topped of with this beauty that fairly put a bend in the 4wt Epic Glass . My best of the season so far.

Let’s hope this rain doesn’t make it yet another one window week :X1

Sandy

Scott Cumming

« Reply #66 on: 09/07/2019 at 13:36 »
Cracking fish Sandy :z16

This is the best the Don had to offer me last night... A bonnie trout covered in huge spots  :z16

Scott

Scott Cumming

« Reply #67 on: 16/07/2019 at 09:59 »
With the bright sunshine yesterday I gave the river a miss and took the boys to Loch Insch. It's been years since I last fished there and Davids done a great job with quality fishing to be had, although it was tough going in the blistering heat.

I didn’t hang around for the evening session. I thought the river might be worth a visit, so I went in search of wild browns instead :z16

Here's the best of the session, caught on a small sedge pattern. I’ve caught it this season already, it happens. Just shows catch and release works :z12

Scott

Allan Liddle

« Reply #68 on: 18/07/2019 at 21:56 »
Superb stuff guys

Mike Barrio

« Reply #69 on: 26/07/2019 at 09:35 »
Anybody been on the river this week ..... What are water temps like?

Dave Robb

« Reply #70 on: 26/07/2019 at 09:42 »

Dave Robb

« Reply #71 on: 26/07/2019 at 09:49 »
Was out Monday to Wednesday from 9pm.  That photo kinda sums it up for me. Seemingly great conditions with barely anything moving.  Each night the wind has died only to pick up again pretty much bang on 10pm killing things.

On the Tuesday there was a huge hatch which lasted around 10 minutes but then that bloody wind kicked in. Sky was choked with clouds of flies and fish were just starting to switch on when it died with the wind.

Seen a fair few seatrout splashing about but not seen many guys out fishing.

Nice to be out though when it's starting to cool down after the daytime heat.  Gave it a miss last night but should be out tonight.

Dave Robb

« Reply #72 on: 26/07/2019 at 11:33 »
Sorry for another post but it’s a separate issue.

I’m booked for a day at Littlewood next week (apparently cloudy with light rain and a drop in temperatures so here’s hoping).

Never fished there but Fishpal states 4.5 miles for length of beat which is a fair amount of water to cover which I’m looking forward to.

Anyone know where is best to park?  I’m thinking somewhere near the bottom of the beat and working my way upstream but can easily park at top end if it’s better for parking.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #73 on: 31/07/2019 at 10:31 »
Quiet night on the river for me ..... but enjoyable as always and in good company  :z12

Ali Mcewan

« Reply #74 on: 31/07/2019 at 19:17 »
Sorry for another post but it’s a separate issue.

I’m booked for a day at Littlewood next week (apparently cloudy with light rain and a drop in temperatures so here’s hoping).

Never fished there but Fishpal states 4.5 miles for length of beat which is a fair amount of water to cover which I’m looking forward to.

Anyone know where is best to park?  I’m thinking somewhere near the bottom of the beat and working my way upstream but can easily park at top end if it’s better for parking.

Heading west from bridge of Alford, you’ll pass a smiddy on the right,  approx 200-250 yards after that there’s a entrance into a un gated field on the left. Either park there or carry on up the road to the top of the first barley field on the left & there’s a wee  enterance  & track down field to the river, easy missed though.
You’ll not come close to fishing a 1/3 of the beat in a day

Scott, some stunners 👌 not envious in the slightest 😂

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com