Michael,

Think it’s safe to say you’ve got the bug again  :z16

Cracking fish, well done
:z18
Scott

Edward Randolph

Re: River Don 2019
« Reply #47 on: 21/05/2019 at 16:51 »
Hi all. Apologies for hijacking the thread for purely personal purposes, but I’m up in the Cairngorm area this weekend and was hoping to slot in a day of fishing on the Don. I’ve never fished the river before but the Monymusk beats look like a good option (proximity, availability & the stretch seems to have a good reputation).

My question: does anyone know of any local ghillies / guides that might be keen to show us the river? And have any members got suggestions for beats / whether Monymusk is a good spot? I also messaged the estate office re ghillie, but hadn’t heard back.

I fly fish for brown trout down on the Wilton stretch of the Wylye, and have done some salmon fishing on the Oykel so am not wholly clueless, but one of the group is a beginner and she is keen to find someone that can show her the river. Some incredible looking fish on the forum…

Thanks all,
T.

Michael Buchan

« Reply #48 on: 28/05/2019 at 10:35 »
Had used up my free passes so no whole days on the river but did get on the river Fri and Sat evening and Sat and Sunday morning for a couple hours at a time.  The fishing was really good I got few nice fish bit unfortunately a few bigger ones eluded me again but hopefully get them next week.   Here is a couple of the better ones and roll on next weekend for more of the same.

Back to being fully obsessed again  :z4
Michael

Mike Barrio

« Reply #49 on: 28/05/2019 at 11:25 »
Great stuff Michael :z16

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #50 on: 05/06/2019 at 10:17 »
Well with all this changeable weather I took the chance in going out the last couple of evenings.

Not a bad shout despite the water being a bit on the dark side, it was still reasonable visibility. After a fair wait on Monday when the fish didn’t come on till 10pm I went out later last night.

Worth the effort as they started hitting hatching sedges as they emerged. Some great sport for about 30mins or so.

Still struggling with detail on night photos but they do reflect  the ambiance.
Had a pretty decent one too , so well pleased.
Had to enhance the pic to see the fish so it’s a bit grainy

Last night was much the same with a few nice fish moving to the sedges, I think some were doing something else as you either got ignored or nailed.

So given the way the river is changing this morning, looks like it was a good call. :z16

So definitely  worth a look but I wouldn’t bother before 9pm

Cheers

Sandy

Scott Cumming

« Reply #51 on: 08/06/2019 at 07:24 »
Caught this trout before the recent rise in water. I hope the river settles soon!

Scott

Allan Liddle

« Reply #52 on: 13/06/2019 at 08:46 »
Some stunning fish there guys. :z16

Scott Cumming

« Reply #53 on: 16/06/2019 at 07:59 »
With the river starting to drop I thought I might be in with a shout last night. I caught my only fish of the session on a sedge pattern towards the end of a pool in knee deep water :z16

A cracking fish on the dry :z16

Hopefully the river continues to fall, clear and warm up next week!

Scott

Hamish Young

« Reply #54 on: 17/06/2019 at 05:38 »
That's a stonking fish - nice  :z16

Scott Cumming

« Reply #55 on: 20/06/2019 at 07:07 »
The river is clearing nicely and the fishing is starting to improve. Caught this beauty around 10:30  on a sedge  :z16

Scott

Dave Robb

« Reply #56 on: 22/06/2019 at 11:29 »
Was out last night once the rain stopped.  Was at waterside by 2115, didn’t cast a line until 2200.

Flat calm, absolutely nothing moving until 2245, where there was a small feeding frenzy for 15 minutes then it went completely dead again.

Caught 3 small fish around 1lb in quick succession then nothing.

Stayed until 2330 hoping something else would happen as it was still light enough to see but to no avail.

Only excitement I had at that stage was a bat flying into me.

Seems a lot of effort for such a small window of fishing but hopefully get out again tonight.

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #57 on: 23/06/2019 at 09:57 »
We had a wee look last night

After what feels like weeks of waiting for a day off, with water worth fishing, last night was a lovely night to be on the water.
Good company too, meant there was plenty laughs :z4

Hatching BWO's seemed to be the focus for a lot of the smaller fish when we arrived at 10pm but by 10.30 there were Egg laying caddis on the water and they were about a size 14. This continued through till about 11.45 when it just died off suddenly.

Here and there were some nice fish chasing the caddis round the river which made them real tricky to target, however one good one stuck himself just on a crease behind a tree. After a serious scrap which belied the size of the fish (i was almost disappointed when i got it to the net :oops) my camera decided to do its impressionist routine, that it seems to prefer in the dark, however it does make for a spooky, ghost like, evening spectre of a fish..... either that or its just plain crap  :X1

Tonight beckons again, so here's hoping the conditions stay the way there just now :z16

Sandy

Mike Barrio

« Reply #58 on: 23/06/2019 at 11:21 »
Maybe that was my problem last night ..... the fish I was targeting were ghosts  :z4  :z4  :z4

Dave Robb

« Reply #59 on: 23/06/2019 at 13:02 »
I was at Fintray for 9.30pm. 

Wind died around 10pm.  Picked up a couple of smaller fish in the first 30mins and had high hopes for the coming hour but just nothing doing after that.

There was no feeding frenzy near 11pm as per the previous evening and even the bats were much later in coming out than compared to Friday  :z8

I stayed out until 11.45 wandering the banks looking for anything rising.  Normally you can look down the length of Fintray in the evening when it’s calm and see fish rising all over the place, but it was completely dead.  Bizarre.

There was an otter swimming about, maybe it had more luck.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com