Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Iain Cameron

Re: River Don 2019
« Reply #15 on: 11/04/2019 at 19:52 »
Cottown is a lovely wee beat; fished it once about 18 months or so ago. Some cracking trout you got there Sandy.

I fished the Grandhome beat on Wednesday as part of the Don 8 Event. The water was still  rather coloured, and higher and therefore deeper & faster than I would have liked.There's a LOT of water - 3 miles or so - but I covered a fair bit of ground.

Saw one rising trout around 1pm. Caught it. So my success rate was 100%.... Half-heartedly nymphed for a bit, but was mostly happy to wander in the sun and have a good old look around. LIke clockwork, a good hatch of LDOs from midday onwards, not many MBs in evidence, though in truth I was wandering a lot and perhaps not as attentive as I could have been

Some big old trout there, as the salmon anglers related... Anyone fishing there in the next week or two, while the water stubbornly refuses to drop, would do well to pack a streamer or two...  It's an interesting stretch; lots of deep, dramatic plunges. Would like to return at lower water levels as I suspect there's a lot more sport to be had.

cheers
iai

Ali Mcewan

« Reply #16 on: 11/04/2019 at 21:22 »
My first day on the don8 event, kemnay beat 3 to start with.
Great wee beat, although running a tad high I'd guess.  But plenty of varied water. Most my fish came from between the hut & the shark fin stone. 

Best of the day

Got a close up encounter with a bitch otter & had a fly past from the kingfisher too

Scott Cumming

« Reply #17 on: 11/04/2019 at 22:45 »
Fetternear for me today on the Don 8 event.

Water still very cold and carrying some colour. Had the dry fly rod set up in optimism but very few trout surfaced despite the steady trickle of flies.

So the day was spent nymphing, plenty of small trout in the morning with a couple of bigger ones in the afternoon.

:z18
Scott

Iain Cameron

« Reply #18 on: 12/04/2019 at 07:45 »
great stuff Scott and Ali,

the Don seems reluctant to drop and warm up, and get the fish feeding up top.
It's probably ever thus, but early season impatience makes it seem so slow... i suppose the Olives are happy though, getting through the day without being snaffled by hungry troots

Cameron deBoth

« Reply #19 on: 12/04/2019 at 09:33 »
You will have caught that fish a stones throw from my childhood home !!!

As you say its a great stretch there!

Gavin Stevenson

« Reply #20 on: 12/04/2019 at 15:30 »
No pictures but fished lower Don today, 2 on PTN and couple on drys biggest around 1lb there were a few large olives but little surface activity

Scott Cumming

« Reply #21 on: 13/04/2019 at 17:31 »
It was bloody cold out there today...

and to finish the day off, a mini bar of gold :z16

Scott

Liam Stephen

« Reply #22 on: 15/04/2019 at 20:16 »
After Kemnay on Saturday  I tried to find shelter upriver on a friends beat. I had unfinished business in a certain pool. Got the bugger and broke in the new Troutbum stick!  :z18

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #23 on: 17/04/2019 at 19:49 »
Had my day out on Castle Forbes today.

Took Glass and Grass for the day out, one for the nymph and one for the dry, not often i carry 2 rods, but it was an experiment as i was rather excited about being on Forbes after all these years.

So it was an interesting day with Hatches on the go from 11am right through till 4pm, Olives and March browns at different points.
However there were only a handful of rising fish, i measured the water temp and it was still just 9 degrees, But the PTN started things off quite well

Some nice water for it though, although you can just imagine the rising fish.

There was the odd rising fish in the fast water, but nothing spectacular, though they were keen for the CDC spider

Lots of superb water to explore, although it seemed the nymph was a better option.

I did manage to find one cracking fish sweeping a Vee at the tail of a pool, i didn't know he was a cracker until he took the fly, but all hell broke loose as he snaffled a CDC spider and proceeded to jump around all over the place, unfortunately he managed to wrap  the tippet round his nose and then he came in quite quickly, i should have guessed what would happen next, as i put the net in the weeds as usual to unhook the fish, i had to unwrap the tippet from round his nose, the second he was free, he took off like a rocket and before i knew it was back in the river, but what a lovely fish and this time on the Dry :z12

Next one was a bit smaller, but i managed a picture :X1

Still i wandered the whole beat and managed a few fish from each run, i saw a pair of Kingfishers a couple of deer and 4 Salmon moved in 4 different pools, A great day, with the best conditions so far for one of my days out.

Cheers

Sandy

Allan Liddle

« Reply #24 on: 20/04/2019 at 08:42 »
Superb stuff guys, loving the photos and i'll have to get onto the Don soon.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #25 on: 20/04/2019 at 18:01 »
Starting to feel more like Spring today ..... cracking day to be on the river :z12

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #26 on: 20/04/2019 at 18:46 »
It was indeed a lovely day to be out.
Lots of flies early in the morning, March browns and Brook duns but the fish were proving tricky and quite spooky
They seemed to be happier coming for a spent spinner, but were reluctant to impale themselves.

Once the olives came on the rising fish seemed catchable, CDC spider strikes again, Mike has the photo's of the better one, but the rest were just as pretty in the glorious sunshine.

No sign of anything from 2 onwards though, think the high bright sun put them down.

I had a hitchhiker on one of the fish from earlier in the day, anyone any ideas? i thought it might be a free swimming caddis when i was in the river, but when i examined the photos it looks more like a small leech, not something i've seen before?

Sandy

Scott Cumming

« Reply #27 on: 22/04/2019 at 08:44 »
Cottown/Bellabeg

I’d been looking forward to this one, a new beat for me and it did not disappoint, what a cracking beat!

Weather was perfect, mild, overcast with sunny intervals.

Before fishing I walked most of the beat to familiarize myself with the pools, there were plenty nooks and crannies to explore

I started off with the nymph and got into my first Cottown trout mid morning and a nice fish it was too...

I then fished the pool above and hooked into a similar sized fish, it bolted down into the white water below and the inevitable happened :X1

There were a few LDOs starting to appear but no fish rising. I continued fishing the nymph and landed my next bar of gold around 12.30...

Around 1pm there was a decent hatch but still no sign of any fish surfacing, the water is still very cold.

When the sun came out and the fishing slowed up there were still plenty to watch...

It wasn't long before the sun dipped and I caught a couple of smaller fish mid afternoon then finished the day on a high with another cracker...

Scott

Scott Cumming

« Reply #28 on: 22/04/2019 at 09:10 »
Managed a cheeky cast after the kids football on Sunday afternoon, caught two but had to finish early after puncturing my waders  :X1

Scott

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #29 on: 22/04/2019 at 09:11 »
They really are stunning looking fish up that end of the river, lovely water too
Superb stuff :z16

Sandy

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com