Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Rob Brownfield

Re: River Deveron 2019
« Reply #15 on: 04/04/2019 at 23:27 »
Was sat in the office in Huntly half expecting the river to come and visit! It was over it’s banks in some bits.

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #16 on: 05/05/2019 at 14:25 »
Festival weekend and the Weather decides to play Foul :z6

Hey ho what can you do, so we drew a new beat to us, one closer to the sea than usual, but not quite what we were expecting
Beautiful water, with more riffles and runs that you could dream of.

So we worked them all with the nymphs and we picked up fish all day.

Probably every other fish was a smolt, but they were in great condition and some of them were a good size too.

Nice too see so many in the river, lets just hope they can evade the perils of passage to the open water
Speaking of open water perils, as i climbed out of one pool a head popped up behind me and i though oooh, an otter, then it swam right up to me and i realised it was a wee bit too big for a otter

Only a little fella, but you got the distinct impression he was taking the piss, anyway he kept coming back for a laugh and i did notice he was sporting a Bright green tag on his tail. I reckon its a common seal as it was small and the head shape was right for it.

He soon vanished, so obviously had other people to go and check up on and have a laugh at, so we got back to the fishing

The brownies weren't bothered by him and soon started rising, as did the smolts....again....

We kept working the river both with nymph and dry and continued to get fish, but nothing substantial

So a lovely day on lovely water, but as we found out later, we were very sheltered from the wind which aggravated most other folk on other beats. We experienced  this ourselves this morning when we were not so lucky and found a risen water, carrying some colour and quite cold at just 8degrees. Still a few fish rising to LDO's but again nothing of Note.

With the wind biting and the water feeling grey, it just didn't have the vibe we were hoping for, so it was off home for an early bath.
I guess those are always the chances with organised events, some you win and some you loose. But it was nice to meet up with some folk and have a bit of banter on saturday night , heres hoping next year the weather does the opposite and the big boys come out to play. Many thanks to Frank Henderson and the Deveron/Bogie and Isla trust for organising the event. Hopefully some of the other managed to winkle out some of the Deveron Gold. :z16

Sandy

Allan Liddle

« Reply #17 on: 08/05/2019 at 07:14 »
Great report Sandy and wind played havoc although pleased to say my wee party also had good fishing with mixed methods from dries, to nymphs and even wets.
Couple of big fish lost, one on Saturday on nymph which was a sea troot.

Great to meet up with everyone and pity more didn't make the tying session in the Legion (we were in the lounge as per usual) but great craic for those that were there.

Guiding Monday and Tuesday, typically the weather had improved and big hatches again, fish certainly switched on and fishing is good again now.
Bloody weather  :cry :z4

Allan Liddle

« Reply #18 on: 12/07/2019 at 14:04 »
Mid Season Round Up:

Been a mixed season so far on the Dev, with dries working very well right into July and nymphs not so good with fish not into the faster bits in great number due to the better oxygenated water elsewhere.
Fished a variety of beats and had great sport on them all with either good numbers or Rod Benders on the DHE or Dirty Duster.

Season total on big fish so far for Deveron is 25, with three over 5lb and a PB of 5lb 10oz, so pretty chuffed with this (especially as I'd lost it the week before but was successful 2nd time I hooked him)

Been lucky to have had a few more outings with the two dugs, sadly Mac has a large tumour and is on borrowed time, but still going strong as he's a grizzly bear.
Found a new Otter friend as well which has seen us so often he's quite chilled about being close to us, especially when the dogs are there.  Love watching him feeding away and love otters as they're my favourite (as well as owls)

Not been out over past week because of work and the fact I've switched to lower Spey chasing silver (successfully with a nice wee 4 1/2 lb grilse before the water shot up again )

Might get out early next week once river settles, especially as we've now moved into the 2nd part of the season and soon time will run out once more.  Who knows I might even have to put the dries away and reach for the tungsten, although I hope not  :wink

Still plenty beats offering very good value trout fishing guys, especially if you are prepared to stay on until dark, or hit river early morning.

Stunning river and always a pleasure to be out fishing on it. 

Mike Barrio

« Reply #19 on: 28/09/2019 at 21:37 »
From what I've seen of the photos, it looks like the Deveron has taken a fair hammering in this weekend's storm, especially in the lower reaches  :z6

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com