Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

River Deveron 2019
« on: 07/02/2019 at 09:55 »
Shared from the  Deveron, Bogie & Isla Rivers Charitable Trust Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/DeveronBogieIsla/

Join us for the River Deveron Opening Ceremony at 10am at the Turriff Angling Association Lodge!

Special guest James Stokoe will kick the ceremony off by presenting Mr Richard Breakell with the Morison trophy for his 22lbs spring salmon, caught and safely released at Muiresk Fishings, and officially open the salmon season with a dram of 18 year old Deveron malt whisky, with Richard Breakell making the first cast.

Many thanks to Henderson's Country Sports for donating the salmon rod, which will be presented to the trophy winner, Macduff distillery for the Deveron malt whisky, Dean's for their donation of delicious shortbread and Turriff Angling Association for providing such a beautiful location to hold the opening ceremony!

Sandy Nelson

Re: River Deveron 2019
« Reply #1 on: 23/03/2019 at 19:05 »
First trout hunt of 2019. Was hard work but well rewarded on a new beat :z16

Such a bonny coloured fish i took a few pictures, one of those orange finned deveron Browns

Lovely day with great company, excellant way to start a new season :z18

Sandy

Allan Liddle

« Reply #2 on: 24/03/2019 at 09:45 »
Cracking fish, was a little further downstream from you guys yesterday, fishing was good but nothing of this size.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #3 on: 24/03/2019 at 12:48 »
Was a nice day in good company to blow away the cobwebs  :z16

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #4 on: 24/03/2019 at 18:29 »
A tad Windy today, but in between the Hail, the rain and the Hooley, the sun kept appearing.
Everytime it did there was a flurry of olives hatching off, in quite large numbers at some points. :z16

So fed up with trying to pitch tungsten nymphs into the wind, i switched to the dry and hunted down some rising fish.
I found a few at the top of the beat, and then a few more at the bottom.

One from the top

Had two or three like that and then wandered down to the bottom after struggling with the wind
Worth the gamble though as i found another group of rising fish, hitting the olives every time the sun came out.
in amongst them was this lovely lad

An inch or so shorter than yesterdays one, but it took a dry, so i'm a happy bunny.
Trophies yesterday on the nymph  and today almost trophies on the Dry.
Worth getting cold for :z16

Sandy

Mike Barrio

« Reply #5 on: 24/03/2019 at 18:32 »
Great stuff Sandy, it must have felt more than a tad Baltic on the water today :z16

Euan Innes

« Reply #6 on: 24/03/2019 at 18:48 »
Well played Sandy. Cracking opening batting.
Out with the digs today and the wind was fierce but you are right that when the sun came out it was lovely. Away again for the next two weeks so hopefully I will be out when that is over.
Well done again.

Euan

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #7 on: 31/03/2019 at 17:36 »
Beautiful morning, so an impromptu ticket, courtesy of Mr Henderson. (You're a star :z16)

And i was back on the river, but without the Hooley and the rain.

Nymphing my through some pools i picked up one or two nice ones

But come lunchtime, as one would hope, there started to trickle off a few olives and some March browns.
Took the fish a wee minute to notice them, but from 1.30pm onwards they seemed to spot them. Some nice rising fish in amongst them too  :z12

And some very pretty smaller ones in great condition.

CDC Spiders seemed to be the way forward, with some of the other dries getting rejected. The cripple was accepted almost every time. :z16

Lovely day to be out, with the water in perfect condition and loads of flies.

Sandy

Mike Barrio

« Reply #8 on: 31/03/2019 at 20:14 »
Crackers Sandy :z12

James Laraway

« Reply #9 on: 02/04/2019 at 10:38 »
Hi Sandy

a CDC spider sounds interesting. Surely with the hackle being so soft all it does is fold along the hook shank though? Do you put something behind the hackle to 'hold it up' ?

regards
James

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #10 on: 02/04/2019 at 10:41 »
Nope, it’s a spun collar and does the job just lovely.
My favourite type of dry. Pretty sure there is an SBS on here somewhere for it

Sandy

Mike Barrio

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #12 on: 02/04/2019 at 11:25 »
Nah

That was the simplified version for folk without a dubbing spinner.

Not sure where the other one is, I couldn’t find it, mind you could have been over 10 years ago 🙄

Sandy

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #13 on: 02/04/2019 at 11:46 »

Iain Cameron

« Reply #14 on: 03/04/2019 at 12:20 »

Had a couple of grand days out on the river, and with decent hatches of LDOs, picked up a few good trouts. Had late afternoon fish of 3.75lbs on consecutive days - very much worth waiting around for in the cold!

Here's the first of them, which was a right plump lump:

back in the office today, sigh!

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com