Kerry Jordan

Re: Custom Epic 580 build
« Reply #15 on: 10/02/2019 at 16:44 »
Minimalist for me. Less is more.

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #16 on: 11/02/2019 at 09:31 »
Thanks for voting guys.

So we have a clear winner this time, build style 'C' it is, so we are doing ghost style wraps with a minimalist look, so no winding check, no colour in the wraps, just a small band at the ferrules to pull the final design together.

As we are going for build style C i'm going to use the new Amber coloured blank as theres a high probability that i will use this rod as my demo for the next couple of years and i quite fancy an Amber one this time, plus it will possibly look better in the full minimalist garb than a Nude.  :z16

So the strong details are going to be in the Wooden insert and in the Agates, so these are now our more important issue to get sorted, hence pulling the poll a little early so i can get the wood picked out and that then takes us to the agate.

So here's our next step, i've photographed 6 inserts with the blank and metalwork to choose from, all the colours work really well for our planned build, so it becomes personal choice and this is where it will be interesting to see how the poll goes. Please choose and vote from A - F as annotated on the picture, i'll run this one till thursday so i get a chance to do the agates for the weekend.

Cheers

Sandy

Dave Robb

« Reply #17 on: 11/02/2019 at 20:09 »
B for me, although E would also work well.

Kerry Jordan

« Reply #18 on: 11/02/2019 at 21:09 »
C would  go with the minimalist look,  although  agree that B would look stylish and is a close second IMHO.

Jeff Donovan

« Reply #19 on: 12/02/2019 at 00:10 »
D for me, compliments the blank.   :z16

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #20 on: 12/02/2019 at 00:37 »
C for me

Euan Innes

« Reply #21 on: 12/02/2019 at 08:57 »
Its a B from me.
The dark figuring will go with the dark hardware and the light wood will go with the blank. It was almost C but I thought that was too close to the handle colour.
However, they are all really nice and would all look good.

Euan

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #22 on: 14/02/2019 at 10:44 »
So we have chosen insert B which is the Spalted Aspen, its a stunning piece of wood that has a lot of bold contrasting figuring and a shimmer akin to Tigereye, Very nice.
Again it was quite close but a distinct preference for a couple and one that just edged it on the votes :z16

So the next choice is which Agate to put with it, now choosing B has opened up another question, as i have 6 agates which will go really well with the insert and the style of build, however 3 of them are Smoked Nickel Silver and 3 of them are Bright Nickel Silver. The picture is split left 3 and right 3 along with the metalwork so you should be able to see the differences.

I have put the Smoked Nickel hardware and the Bright Nickel hardware in the picture to help you choose, i was going to use the Smoked Nickel hardware for the build, but the choice of insert has meant we can use either and there were some particularly good matching agates in Bright Nickel as well as the smoked.

So this time we are not only choosing which agate we would like to use, we are also choosing the rings and metalwork colour, so i will run it for 5 days to let you have a good think about how you visualise the build and then we shall see which way we are going.

I hope you are enjoying this, so far we are following the process for a customer build and funnily enough the results are proving to be roughly what i would have expected.

Cheers

Sandy

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #23 on: 14/02/2019 at 21:54 »
Sandy,

Smoked nickel silver and E for me.

Eddie

Dave Robb

« Reply #24 on: 15/02/2019 at 01:05 »
As above, smoked nickel and E.

Euan Innes

« Reply #25 on: 15/02/2019 at 06:02 »
Definitely an A from me Sandy.
The smoked nickel is superb in real life, adds a sharper look under clear wraps and matches more reels in todays market.
The agate has a Tigers eye feel to it. All of them go with the insert but I think A really "pops" and becomes a feature rather than a matching accessory  :z4

Euan

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #26 on: 15/02/2019 at 06:46 »
Smoked nickel silver and E for me.

Ahh now we might a wee misunderstanding, the 3 strippers on the left A-C are smoked nickel and the 3 on the right D-F are bright nickel, hence the question about the metalwork, I don’t want to mix smoked nickel reel seats with bright nickel rings, it won’t look quite as good as having it all matching. So if you want smoked nickel hardware I’m afraid you need to pick from A-C but if you fancy E then we are going with bright nickel hardware. Have a think and see, you can change your mind anytime up to the end of the poll👍
Sorry for the confusion, I was just going to use smoked nickel, but with the insert that was chosen I rather liked agates D and E so added the bright nickel option to make them options.😁
Cheers

Sandy

Dave Robb

« Reply #27 on: 15/02/2019 at 08:16 »
Obviously, doh!  :X1

A and smoked or E and bright silver.

I like both.

Edit.

I’ve gone with A on the poll.

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #28 on: 15/02/2019 at 09:50 »
Ok Sandy, now I will go smoked nickel with A,

Maybe this explains why I have been known to wear socks of different colours

Eddie

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #29 on: 15/02/2019 at 11:11 »
Cheers guys.

Eddie, did you change your vote on the poll?

Sandy

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com