Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Sandy Nelson

Custom Epic 580 build
« on: 02/02/2019 at 16:34 »
HI Folks

Been a busy few months, which is why i've been pretty quiet, however i have found myself in a position whereby i'm finished all this years rod builds well ahead of schedule. So as i often get asked if i have a rod ready, off the shelf so to speak, and i have a few  extra blanks which i bought for stock then i thought i would build another 580 to fill this niche.

As its for stock and no-one else is picking components i thought it might be fun if i let you guys choose the bits (instead of me doing my own thing all time). :z18

So the plan is i will post a poll with some photographs for us to vote on the build spec, e.g. the choice of blank colour, the wooden insert, the shape of grip, the agate guide and the style of whippings. I'll do a seperate poll for each aspect and i'll update this post as components are picked and as the build progresses, treating the rod the same way as i do all the custom builds but with the forum in the role of the customer. I hope you all join in as I think it could be quite an interesting project to see how design by committee turns out. :z16 I'll let each poll run for 5 Days, some i may run concurrently so i get the chance to have the rod finished for the start of the season.

The only things that are pre-determined are, its going to be a 580 and it will be dark nickel rings and uplocking metalwork.

So the first poll will be for the blank Colour.
NUDE

AMBER

I'll run the poll for 5 days

Cheers

Sandy

Mike Barrio

Re: Custom Epic 580 build
« Reply #1 on: 02/02/2019 at 17:14 »
What a great idea Sandy :z16

Euan Innes

« Reply #2 on: 02/02/2019 at 19:15 »
Sandy,
I have voted but I don't care either way. The amber looks like bamboo so that would probably upset more people so I went with that. Wood and glass, aaaaaahhhhhhhhhh!
When you build my next one  it will be a 580 so at least you will have one for me to try!
And coincidently, I was in Angus Angling today and saw the new Guideline Fario reel in the new #6 size. It now comes in bronze so I was fantasizing about that on a 580 and then I see this post.
It is a sign! :z14

Euan

Dave Robb

« Reply #3 on: 02/02/2019 at 23:39 »
I got one of Sandys builds prior to Christmas and was torn between nude and olive when I was choosing my blank.

I opted for olive which I think is really nice but it was 50 / 50 between the two.

So for this poll, it’s nude all the way as I think it looks ace.

Not had a cast with my new rod yet, can’t wait for winter to pass. 

Plenty of time for me to keep searching for a new reel though.

Jeff Donovan

« Reply #4 on: 03/02/2019 at 00:26 »
Now this is a fascinating thread well worth following, to say I'm intrigued would be a very big understatement. I'm relishing the outcome.  :z12

Edit: voted for the amber - just to make it a bit closer.   :z16

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #5 on: 03/02/2019 at 11:37 »
Sandy,

I have two olive epics but I really like the nude one so it’s nude for my vote.

Eddie

Kerry Jordan

« Reply #6 on: 03/02/2019 at 15:33 »
Sandy has kindly built 3 stunning Epics for me in salsa, olive and amber.
So I shall vote for nude!

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #7 on: 07/02/2019 at 20:09 »
Thanks for all the comments and for voting :z16

So its an Honorable draw, at least that keeps things normal for me, a lot of folk have difficulty deciding which colour they want, so my next move is usually to try and find out what sort of style they have in mind and that often suggests which colour we will build.
So i'll make the call on the colour when i see which way we are going. I'm afraid most of the choices will be on Nude blanks as i have only made a few ambers and have less pictures to choose from, but the build styles work well for both, we just might change the colours. We will choose the actually colours later in the process.

So the next choice is style of build.

A.    Semi traditional with wraps in light natural colours, to make the rod  look organic, this usually leads to softer colour inserts and lighter agates, often leads to wrap tippings to add a bit more colour, but keping the rod soft and natural.

B.     Again semi traditional but with strong bold colours, this can also look pretty fresh and modern, but is not for the shrinking violet. it can go with lovely strong agates and inserts too, rarely with tippings as the strong colours dominate. These rods really pop.

C.      Modern/Skandi style, clean ghost wraps for a minimalist build, pretty much a signature look for me and how a large percentage of builds end up. it shows off the colour of the blank and allows you to put the details in the agates and insert.  Very cool.

D.     A hybrid of the styles where the main bulk of the rod is done clean with ghost wraps, but some colour is introduced, either with tippings to the wraps, or by using a stronger solid colour on the stripper guide. This lends itself to any insert/agate style as you can pull them together in different ways, using the extra colours, if we do this style then that would be a additional choice later in the choices.

Again the Poll will run for 5 days and hopefully the style choice will inspire me with a blank choice.

Cheers

Sandy

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #8 on: 07/02/2019 at 23:49 »
Sandy,

version C for me. Tres cool.

Eddie :z18

Jeff Donovan

« Reply #9 on: 08/02/2019 at 01:47 »
Has to be an "A" for me..... keeping with tradition or sum such...  :X2

Hamish Young

« Reply #10 on: 08/02/2019 at 07:07 »
C all the way for me :z16

Dave Robb

« Reply #11 on: 08/02/2019 at 08:39 »
C just edges it, although A is a good alternative.

Heck I also like B and the bright wraps.

Euan Innes

« Reply #12 on: 08/02/2019 at 09:04 »
And it's a C from me.
The invisibule wraps are so classy. This leads the eye to the agate ring and reel seat.
Like this little beauty,

Everyone that has seen it is drawn to the reel seat and not bright wraps. The bright wrap version reminds me on '70's American glass sticks and not these modern glass rods. Fine if you want a Pfluger but not so cool for a modern reel. Vintage can be cool but these new Epics deserve more.
I am changing my mind towards the nude though. More Katana than lightsabre, more scalpel than baseball bat.  :z4
Loving your work Sandy  :z14

Euan

Mike Barrio

« Reply #13 on: 08/02/2019 at 09:42 »
I voted for the organic look this time Sandy, subtle with style :z16

Cheers
Mike

Dave Mundie

« Reply #14 on: 09/02/2019 at 21:51 »
It's another "c" from me

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com