Forum > Rod Building

Custom Epic 580 build

(1/12) > >>

Sandy Nelson:
HI Folks

Been a busy few months, which is why i've been pretty quiet, however i have found myself in a position whereby i'm finished all this years rod builds well ahead of schedule. So as i often get asked if i have a rod ready, off the shelf so to speak, and i have a few  extra blanks which i bought for stock then i thought i would build another 580 to fill this niche.

As its for stock and no-one else is picking components i thought it might be fun if i let you guys choose the bits (instead of me doing my own thing all time). :z18

So the plan is i will post a poll with some photographs for us to vote on the build spec, e.g. the choice of blank colour, the wooden insert, the shape of grip, the agate guide and the style of whippings. I'll do a seperate poll for each aspect and i'll update this post as components are picked and as the build progresses, treating the rod the same way as i do all the custom builds but with the forum in the role of the customer. I hope you all join in as I think it could be quite an interesting project to see how design by committee turns out. :z16 I'll let each poll run for 5 Days, some i may run concurrently so i get the chance to have the rod finished for the start of the season.

The only things that are pre-determined are, its going to be a 580 and it will be dark nickel rings and uplocking metalwork.

So the first poll will be for the blank Colour.
NUDE

AMBER

I'll run the poll for 5 days

Cheers

Sandy

Mike Barrio:
What a great idea Sandy :z16

Euan Innes:
Sandy,
I have voted but I don't care either way. The amber looks like bamboo so that would probably upset more people so I went with that. Wood and glass, aaaaaahhhhhhhhhh!
When you build my next one  it will be a 580 so at least you will have one for me to try!
And coincidently, I was in Angus Angling today and saw the new Guideline Fario reel in the new #6 size. It now comes in bronze so I was fantasizing about that on a 580 and then I see this post.
It is a sign! :z14

Euan

Dave Robb:
I got one of Sandys builds prior to Christmas and was torn between nude and olive when I was choosing my blank.

I opted for olive which I think is really nice but it was 50 / 50 between the two.

So for this poll, it’s nude all the way as I think it looks ace.

Not had a cast with my new rod yet, can’t wait for winter to pass. 

Plenty of time for me to keep searching for a new reel though.

Jeff Donovan:
Now this is a fascinating thread well worth following, to say I'm intrigued would be a very big understatement. I'm relishing the outcome.  :z12

Edit: voted for the amber - just to make it a bit closer.   :z16

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version