Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Terry Coging

You Lucky People!
« on: 02/01/2019 at 15:07 »
You lucky people, who live within easy reach of the Highland Lochs and streams. My mind is up there for fifty weeks of the year but alas, my body only makes it for two.  Loch style on big water is my favoured way of fishing these days.  Despite  having access to excellent reservoir fishing here in the Midlands and in France until last season,  I am always dreaming about times on the Lochs of Sutherland and Ross.  Oddly enough I don't dream about the great Loughs of Ireland in the same way. Don't know why because they are awesome. Indeed I will be on Mask for the Mayfly this Spring.
So why dream about the Highlands? Maybe that first day fly fishing, as a young man, on a Wester Ross Loch, in my wee plastic boat has left an indelible memory.
So, thank you Mike and your forum members for letting me live up there as a cyber fisherman.
Best wishes for the coming season - you lucky people  :z18

Mike Barrio

Re: You Lucky People!
« Reply #1 on: 02/01/2019 at 19:15 »
Hope you enjoy a great season Terry :z16

Best wishes
Mike

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #2 on: 03/01/2019 at 14:57 »
don't know why 50 weeks is  so important , we have a close season of nearly 5 months, are you a secret poacher Terry? :z12 it is 70 miles to my nearest 'bow fishery, so I don't go I can usually fish for pike but that doesn't interest me as much as WBT, the sea fishing has gone down the tubes ever since the 3 mile limit was ended, so the off season can be quiet, :z8 Derek Roxborough

James Laraway

« Reply #3 on: 03/01/2019 at 15:41 »
ive never fished the lochs of sutherland and ross...but there are enough trout lochs round inverness to keep me busy for a wee while yet :z16

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #4 on: 03/01/2019 at 19:40 »
 but only in season James  :z18 Derek Roxborough

Terry Coging

« Reply #5 on: 04/01/2019 at 10:23 »
Season are not important when dreaming. I can visualise Canisp, Suilven, Alt More and the wonderful reflections on the surfaces of Lochs Cam and Veyatie all year round. I can think of that day 50 years ago where fly fishing started for me on Loch Slaggan and the days on the Furalach with my children in the boat.  A week ago 14 of us went to a trout lake and caught a lot of rainbows. My best was 9lb 14oz. It was just another day and the memory will fade away.....

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #6 on: 04/01/2019 at 15:49 »
they can be important when you are waiting during the winter, but then I am quite patient, luckily I have my fly tying,  :z18 Derek Roxborough

Bob Mitchell

« Reply #7 on: 05/01/2019 at 08:39 »
I am in a way lucky as I have 3 lochs that I can fish any time during the season with the smallest 86 acres. Although they are up in the hills above Glasgow you could be anywhere as there is not a building in sight.
The close season just makes me keener to get back.
Bob.

Terry Coging

« Reply #8 on: 05/01/2019 at 09:07 »
If any of you guys come down to Stafford next month for the fly fair and you fancy a bit of rainbow fishing, just let me know.

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #9 on: 05/01/2019 at 19:38 »
for my sins I am the Chairman/person of our local angling club, so we have 21 hill lochs to get to grips with the Club has access to the Fionn Loch, but it's club members only,and there are loads of other lochs  in the area,but during the Close season it's fly tying or rod building,  :z18 Derek Roxborough

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com