Hamish Young

Re: New species of Brown trout
« Reply #15 on: 13/12/2018 at 17:36 »
Ah! fishery scientists what have they ever done for us? :X2 Derek Roxborough
We stand a real chance of multi-quoting Monty Python here  :z4 :z18

Allan Liddle

« Reply #16 on: 15/12/2018 at 09:58 »
I can't help think that this "species" tag is a bit misleading.

"Lighter skin and larger mouth and eyes...."

Imagine if we looked at humans and said "oh, they have lighter skin and blue eyes, they are a different species".

Genetic variation, yes, new species? Nope!

100% correct Rob and something we all need to be aware of to end the misinterpretation and misunderstanding of out native trout.  Essentially the same species with genetic differences that has evolved to fill every niche in it's given environment which for me makes it the best fish we have. 

Andy MacArthur

« Reply #17 on: 25/12/2018 at 15:30 »
I wasn’t aware there were so many qualified biologists on this forum......

Hamish Young

« Reply #18 on: 25/12/2018 at 16:38 »
Good news - there are more than one or two :z16

Even more good news..... an amateur with an ACME box of kindling built the Ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Merry Christmas  :z18

Andy MacArthur

« Reply #19 on: 25/12/2018 at 17:03 »
You would have thought they would be better versed  in the genetic basis for inheritance and speciation from the view point of reproductive isolation? Merry Xmas. 😀

PS. Curious as to how one can claim to be a biologist and simultaneously believe in Arks? 😉

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #20 on: 25/12/2018 at 19:42 »
because he 's called Arkwright?  :X2  Derek Roxborough

Hamish Young

« Reply #21 on: 26/12/2018 at 08:49 »
You would have thought they would be better versed  in the genetic basis for inheritance and speciation from the view point of reproductive isolation? Merry Xmas. 😀
I had a most enjoyable Christmas day - thanks  :z16
When it comes down to it I'm an ichthyologist, not a biologist.  Genetics takes me back a long time to my student days and it annoyed the shit out of me then, some 30 years later it's fair to say I'm not as 'up on it' as I could be....
So although not a biologist, and merely a studier of fish, I had dismissed the idea that peripatric speciation had occurred due to the extent of the environment.
Sympatric speciation is probably the strongest argument for Salmo Laidon (Benthivourous) being a new species.
But to my eyes there is insufficient evidence in the material I have read to date that sufficiently demonstrates that Salmo Laidon (Benthivourous) is a new species, or Ferox, or Gilaroo and so on.

It's the sort of topic that would have kept Vroomfondel, Majikthise and other members of the Amalgamated Union of Philosophers, Sages, Luminaries, and other professional thinking persons busy for many years in debate.

PS. Curious as to how one can claim to be a biologist and simultaneously believe in Arks? 😉
Fortunately, as I'm not a biologist, this doesn't immediately apply to me. That said, I like a good story and I don't have to believe it's true to enjoy the writers work.

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #22 on: 26/12/2018 at 14:32 »
Biology, Smiology, I am an ex- engineer, with an interest In all things fishy, ( not Dodgy), so I do tend to read a bit, if we didn't have that interest where would we be? :shock Derek Roxborough

Andy MacArthur

« Reply #23 on: 26/12/2018 at 15:14 »
The Ernst Mayr definition of species quoted previously  is somewhat outdated as it cannot be universally applied to all living organisms.
The Laidon trout certainly qualify as a  species as they fulfil the criteria of the current species concepts in use ie. Morphological, Ecological, Genetic and Bioeconomic. 
Don’t shoot the messenger if this wasn’t what you learned in school ... just saying.

Hamish Young

« Reply #24 on: 26/12/2018 at 16:45 »
The Laidon trout certainly qualify as a  species as they fulfil the criteria of the current species concepts in use ie. Morphological, Ecological, Genetic and Bioeconomic.
The more things change, the more they stay the same.

We have been through many changes in scientific understanding of flora and fauna in my short time on this planet and I am sure - whilst folk continue to widely disagree on the facts presented to them which will continue ad nauseum and is very probably a large part of the human condition.
Strikes me we are getting ever closer to seeing a revival in the taxonomy of the Victorians, will we see  Salmo fario , Salmo lacustris, Salmo ferox and a host of others reappearing :?  Possibly.

I'll be meeting up with some biologists for the river systems near to me this coming month, be interesting to see what their take on it all is.  As the evidence is there to support it, I would opt for subspecies or forms over new species - but I am not a biologist.

Don’t shoot the messenger if this wasn’t what you learned in school ... just saying.
Amongst other functions the purpose of this forum is to provide a means for information exchange, discussion and debate for individuals who are (by and large) unlikely to meet. College was some time ago for me, whilst I am possibly wiser (and certainly older) than I was then, I still understand that discussion and debate is always worth pursuing when seeking knowledge and understanding. This can be challenging at times, but is always worthwhile.

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #25 on: 26/12/2018 at 23:12 »
will trutta laidonensis be able to breed with Trutta Trutta, or any of the other truttas,? Naturally of course, if this is the case then surely it's the same? or am I being naïve? perhaps the earlier " Observers Book of British Fishes" was the Victorian version? with all the different  types,,  :z8 , Derek Roxborough

Andy MacArthur

« Reply #26 on: 27/12/2018 at 00:32 »
Lions and tigers can breed a produce fertile offspring?  Would  you  say they were the same species Derek?
As previously mentioned the old concept of species isn’t a ‘catch all’ and definitions have changed and evolved to reflect this.

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #27 on: 27/12/2018 at 15:10 »
Both felines, may be it's a stripey thing, I thought that Ligers or Tigons were sterile, but there you go, that's what engineers think, :z18 Derek Roxborough

Terry Coging

« Reply #28 on: 30/12/2018 at 13:46 »
We should stick to being engineers Derek and try to baffle the biologists  :z4

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com