Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Steven Sinclair

Mahseer Trip In Sabah Malaysia
« on: 21/11/2018 at 04:06 »
Morning gents,

Dad and I are not long back from a two day trip to the jungle in search of Golden Mahseer.  Unlike most of the river systems in Malaysia the rivers in the mountains of Sabah are gin clear freestone waters and the fishing is incredibly similar to that of trout fishing at home  :z16 these rivers are owned and protected by the local Tagal people and are 100% catch and release. Through my contacts in Malaysia I was able to track down a guide who is married to a Tagal woman and is the only person permitted to fish it. With a portion of his guiding fee's being given to the Local community and by employing a Tagal guide to accompany us the community benefit and this stops the usual over fishing seen across the rest of the country. I sincerely hope that this business model can be shared country wide as the fishing would be phenomenal. 

With the rivers running high and slightly coloured our expectations were not high and we had decided that if one of us managed to catch one then the trip would be considered a success. We had decided to hedge our bets so dad set up his newly purchased 4# Hot Torpedo (which is awesome BTW) with an untested Grasshopper pattern that he had tied the previous week, whilst I fished big Tungsten nymphs (again on a 4# HT  :z12)

Within the first 10 minutes both Dad and I had landed fish! This was to continue for the rest of the day and I ended up with around 30 fish  :z16 many were small but by christ they can fight for their size and they are dirty too. If you don't manage to turn them quickly then they head straight into the rocks and it is game over. We both lost big fish due to this.

It had been a life long ambition of Dad's to catch a Mahseer since reading about people catching them in the Himalayas during his childhood. I am absolutely delighted that through my fly fishing contacts I was able to make this happen.

We are now planning a trip to Thailand in an attempt to catch their bigger brothers. fish in the 5kg region are not uncommon over there and can be sight fished for  :z12

With Sabah only being a 50 minute flight away for us (we both work in Brunei) we will definitely be back again. For anybody interested our guide Julio Dino can be contacted via his facebook page Borneo Fly Fishing Outfitters. He is a Loop endorsed guide and is a great guy to fish with.

Anyways, here's some pics of the trip.

:z18

Steven.

Jim Eddie

Re: Mahseer Trip In Sabah Malaysia
« Reply #1 on: 21/11/2018 at 06:35 »
Great stuff Steven, great report and photos  :cool:

Jim

Mike Barrio

« Reply #2 on: 21/11/2018 at 09:09 »
Great stuff Steven ..... and cracking photos too, thanks for sharing :z16

Cheers
Mike

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #3 on: 21/11/2018 at 12:10 »
 :oops :oops :oops :oops :oops Rather embarrassingly, I have eaten these. They were rather tasty in a fish curry after 14 days on army rations.

Very very rarely you saw them on the fish slab in KB and sometimes offered for sale in the only Aquarium shop in Seria. The Chinese love them as pets as they have the large scales. Apparently this is a sign of wealth. Maybe because the scales look ,like coins?

Awesome report and awesome fish! Jealous as hell!

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #4 on: 21/11/2018 at 12:41 »
:oops :oops :oops :oops :oops Rather embarrassingly, I have eaten these. They were rather tasty in a fish curry after 14 days on army rations.

Very very rarely you saw them on the fish slab in KB and sometimes offered for sale in the only Aquarium shop in Seria. The Chinese love them as pets as they have the large scales. Apparently this is a sign of wealth. Maybe because the scales look ,like coins?

Awesome report and awesome fish! Jealous as hell!

I've killed salmon in the bad old days. (Actually only the one) so I'm in no position to say anything.

I've heard rumour that they can be found in some of the headwaters in Brunei but they are extremely rare these days, most probably due to over fishing but we just picked up a wee boat (read plastic bath tub) which will open up far more fishing opportunities as well as keep me away from croc striking zone on the river banks (a genuine concern here as the population has exploded over the past 20 years or so). Handily it fits in the bed of the truck so I can launch it pretty much anywhere  :z16

Steven

Mike Barrio

« Reply #5 on: 21/11/2018 at 12:48 »
"plastic bath tub" .......  :z4

Graeme Stewart

« Reply #6 on: 22/11/2018 at 07:17 »

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #7 on: 22/11/2018 at 08:27 »
keep me away from croc striking zone on the river banks

Water skiing upstream of the Boat Club in KB was always "fun".

The boat would do several runs up and down the river close to the bank to scare away the crocs before we would jump in the river!

Biggest croc I saw was on the beach at Panaga.  It had been washed up dead. I have a photo of it somewhere with it laid next to a Toyota Pick up. The croc was around 10-11 feet long.

The link below is to a 15 footer taken at Tutong.

http://www.asiaone.com/asia/15-foot-crocodile-caught-brunei-village

I remember going on a school trip to a museum in Bandar Seri Begawan where we saw what was meant to be the biggest saltwater crocodile ever captured. It was something like 25 feet long and had been shoot by oil workers at the mouth of the Belait in the 1930's.

Always a "risk" when water skiing at KB   :shock :shock

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com