Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Rob Brownfield

John Wilson has hung up his waders for good.
« on: 13/11/2018 at 12:00 »
Just heard the news from his brother that sadly John Wilson has passed away.

Many people had a love hate relationship with John, but he managed to get angling on mainstream TV and the work he did behind the scenes for conservation and predation control must not go unmentioned.

I will never forget seeing him casting a 5cm Rapala on a fly rod :)

RIP John.

Mike Barrio

Re: John Wilson has hung up his waders for good.
« Reply #1 on: 13/11/2018 at 13:28 »
Sorry to hear that Rob ..... It's always difficult to know what to say in these posts. My thoughts are with his family.

John was passionate about his fishing, he seemed to have a great sense of humour and I'm sure he inspired many folk to give the sport a go.

Best wishes
Mike

Jim Eddie

« Reply #2 on: 13/11/2018 at 18:32 »
Yes he was a bit Marmite, but I quite liked him, did mostly coarse fishing tv shows, but he did the odd fly fishing one.
75 is to young to go, RIP John

:z18

Jim

Terry Coging

« Reply #3 on: 14/11/2018 at 10:33 »
I liked John Wilson due to his wide range of fishing experience and practical approach. Indeed 75 is a bit early to hang up his rod. As one of the Octogenarians on this forum I feel quite lucky.
Thanks for putting up the video of the John Wilson interview. His parting remarks about where angling will be in 50 years time was a little disturbing.
rip John Wilson

Mike Barrio

« Reply #4 on: 14/11/2018 at 11:32 »
I'll post a copy of the video here as well Terry, for when the the home page image is changed :z16

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #5 on: 14/11/2018 at 12:29 »
People think of John as a coarse angler, but he did a lot of fly fishing both near his home in Lenwade, Norfolk, but also abroad. He loved chasing the big Canadian Grayling with a fly. Latterly he was after Snakehead and Arapimas over on his brothers fishery in Thailand, all on the fly.

He had a gravel pit full of carp and tench in his garden in the UK, but he also ran a couple of Trout syndicates near Lyng and even a stretch of the Upper Wensum. His tackle shop had a fly fishing section, pretty rare in the middle of Norwich lol.

His tie-in with Ryobi Masterline saw him develop a few fly rods, noticeably a twin tip affair that was a 5/6 weight river rod or a 7/8 weight distance stick. His name was also on a cheaper range of travel fly rods.

He really was a proper all rounder and would fish for anything using any method.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com