Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

New for 2008 ..... Aberdeen Field Sports
« on: 01/01/2008 at 17:27 »
Hi folks :cool:

Aberdeen has a new angling outlet for 2008 ....... Aberdeen Fieldsports, located at 35 Waterloo Quay and it is I believe, now open for business!

Aberdeen Fieldsports will be stocking a wide range of fishing tackle and organising angling trips to a number of great locations. It also has a new online shop which you can find here http://www.aberdeenfieldsports.com

I can see some nice products from Bruce & Walker, Scott fly rods and Sharpes on there ............... but I'm sure "Diver Dave" will let you know all about their new venture soon :wink

Wishing them all the best :z16
Mike

duncanm

Re: New for 2008 ..... Aberdeen Field Sports
« Reply #1 on: 01/01/2008 at 17:40 »
I have been talking with Dave on this for a wee while now and it looks like it is going to be a good resource - I am sure he will update with whats going to be happening but there looks like there is going to be a fair amount of good stuff going on.

Jim Eddie

« Reply #2 on: 01/01/2008 at 18:19 »
Good luck with the venture , hope to drop by some time.

:z18

Jim

Mike Barrio

« Reply #3 on: 01/01/2008 at 22:50 »
Hi Dave

From your reply in the "least favourite rod" thread, I see you are going to have a rod pool. This is a great idea ......... you can't beat being able to "try before you buy" :wink

I see on the website that you are doing a tackle disinfection service too, another good idea :cool:

Are you going to do wader repairs? We discussed this in the past and with your diving suit experience I can see this as being a popular service!

Best wishes
Mike

Dave Gordon

« Reply #4 on: 01/01/2008 at 23:33 »
Thanks Mike
Yes, certainly plan to have one. Have a Sharpes trout rod, salmon plus 3 and Bruce and Walker norway so far! I guess the rod pool will grow with time and i am looking forward to gettinga Scott or two.

Disinfection will be no problem as we have a large wet area for the diving. Could even do canoes and float tubes!

As for repair ( http://www.aberdeenfieldsports.com/airguns/servicing.asp ) sorry Blatant advert.

Yes, we do a comprehensive repair service. I have had waders from cheap PVC to top end breathables. All have leaked, mostly from the seams or boots. The all last a season or two, but dive suits made from the same materials last 5 years plus and over 500 dives before they get "tired"

I took a couple of pairs of waders to bits and found the way they are made is not as strong as a dive suit.
All we do is turn them inside out, inflate them with compressed air then repair them in the inside, so the repair does not show. The repair is done to dive suit standards and then re tested. We can also replace boots and socks. Re taping is also easily done.
We also service and repair life jackets and waistcoats. In most cases the service is needed because the jacket simply needs a wash, and we can also help with this.

The website is up and running, stock is arriving all the time and we will very soon be able to offer angling experiences and trips.

That is the plan.

Have a look at the website and comment/ request as appropriate.

D

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #5 on: 22/01/2008 at 08:33 »
Tut tut Dave, I hear you have been upsetting more people than me!!! Glad to see another shop in Aberdeen, good luck with yur venture, I hope it goes well.

Dave Gordon

« Reply #6 on: 22/01/2008 at 09:35 »
Thanks Rob

Now why would people be upset with me?! :z8

We are now basically set up, the stock is out and growing daily. Wader repairs are going mad, with this almost a full time job, and the season has yet to start! Even doing a few jackets, which was un expected.

Got some cool new toys for 08. The Scott rods and Nautilus reels for a start, if anyone wants to try one I have a couple of demos, and plan to have the chaps from Scott up in perhaps April for a demo day, some instruction and a bite to eat, details later!

From Thursday 24th morning ADAA members will be able to pay their annual fees on line, at no process cost and have the permit posted out, this is all ready to go once the AGM decides the fees.

I am offering a discount scheme for all the clubs and association who have contacted me, and once registered this will be automatic at the till, you will not have to ask, the price will be reduced for you. All the clubs who have made contact are on our Gold discount, so if you have not done this yet contact me at dave@aberdeenfieldsports.com

Finally our sea and pike bait freezer is now full, at long last.

Pop in for a coffee and chat some time!

D

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #7 on: 23/01/2008 at 10:07 »
Pike bait..woohoo!!!!

Will you be doing in Pike tackle, be it fly or bait?

Will try to pop in soon sohave a rumage through ya freezer and to come in with a pair of neoprenes!!!! You may want to charge me a bit more..my attempts at repait were not that great :(

Dave Gordon

« Reply #8 on: 23/01/2008 at 16:36 »
Hi Rob

I have pike frozen bait in stock, pike lures, spinners, traces and flies in stock. Bait, I bought too much, so may have to adjust the price there, one box it seams means one big box full of little boxes full of bags of bait. The freezer is completely full, when the sea stuff is included!

I took in a large number of plugs and the like, 4 different types of trace set ups, some floats and 2 boxes of flies, perhaps 30 pike flies in total, just to test the waters, as it were.

The sea stuff is all in now and tomorrow I will be testing some rods at Haddo, a couple of Scotts, some sharpes and a couple of cheaper ones.

Plan is to have a pair of top deal of the month, to get interest, so once tested i plan a rod, reel, line, flies, mono, backing and a wee box for about £30. But i need to be sure it is ok so it will get a wiggle alongside a brace of very nice Scotts.

Will keep you posted! I am in the centre on Friday and Saturday, procesing ADAA on line memberships, pop in for a chat, tour and coffee!

D

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #9 on: 25/01/2008 at 11:43 »
I shall be in on Saturday for some bait then :) Hope you have plenty of salmon Parr instock!  :z7

grant

« Reply #10 on: 26/01/2008 at 13:03 »
Popped in to the shop on Friday. For anyone driving past or in the neighborhood its the water sports centre and the coffee is good and the crack even better (thats crack as in laugh). So thanks to Dave for the hospitality! Its only just really started and promises to be quite something the gear in at the Mo, even if it is limited, is first class. So, drop in, have a nosey you'll be pleasantly surprised and if like me will feel like a kiddies in a sweet shop as it boys toys heaven.

Hamish Young

« Reply #11 on: 26/01/2008 at 13:25 »
Indeed - and don't try the Scott S4 they've in stock with a credit card in your pocket  :wink :z4

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #12 on: 28/01/2008 at 15:37 »
Popped in on saturday...what they lack in stock (for the moment) they make up for in friendliness!..and that goes a long way in my book!

Nice to meet diver Dave properly at last!

Ross

« Reply #13 on: 30/01/2008 at 12:18 »
Well I met Dave today...TOP lad! Very helpfull indeed! I now know where I shall be spending my ££££ :z16 :z15 :z18

Other shops should take note! :grin

Cheers!

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com