Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Rob Brownfield

Fishing in France, what a pain!
« on: 08/11/2018 at 10:19 »
I am being dragged to France next year for a family birthday and the better half has said, "It will be fun, you can go fishing"....

We will be based in Wimereux, between Calais and Boulogne, so I have got in touch with the local angling federation.

I have looked up the local Federation over in the Pas-de-Calais but it all seems incredibly confusing and restrictive, and almost entirely Trout and salmon in the rivers. That was a surprise!

Any coarse fishing seems to be restricted to "category 2" waters and seem to be mostly canals running through some really dodgy, urban areas of Calais.

Anyone fished in France who can explain the license system and rules?

Cheers.

Terry Coging

Re: Fishing in France, what a pain!
« Reply #1 on: 08/11/2018 at 14:57 »
Hi Rob. Since selling up in France I have chucked all my old license info away.  I have now knowledge of fishing in that area but I did learn a thing or two about fishing in Brittany.  They are very keen on pike  (Brochet) fishing and they administer pike waters as keenly as game waters - probably more so.  They are easy going about coarse fishing unless it is a stocked carp water. The license fee for a year was about 100 euro plus extra's for migratory fish and for other regions.  Holiday permits are theoretically available but in reality only sold during Summer.  If there is a Decathlon store in the region then pay them a visit. They sell licenses and are usually OK for directions to waters. Decathlon France also stock a wide range of fishin/shootin stuff that you will not see in the UK.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #2 on: 08/11/2018 at 15:04 »
Many thanks for that indeed!

Doing a bit more reading it appears the main river is "highly polluted". Great start! lol

Other still waters I have identified on google maps appear to be nature reserves or "municipal" supplies and not fishable.

I did find one carp water within an hours drive, but its a commercial place where it is hired out on a weekly basis only. No popping in for a few hours stalking.

It looks like the Pike season is closed in July when I am there. I did look at Zander as I still have not had one, but they don't seem to be about in numbers.

I am thinking tours of the battle fields etc are the order of the day rather than mucking about with fishing, unless Belgium is easier to work out :) The canals there hold some monster carp!

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #3 on: 08/11/2018 at 15:09 »
Update, just found a day ticket carp lake near(ish). However, it states that a day ticket is 13 Euros or if you are American, its 23 Euros!

The French really do things their own way lol

Terry Coging

« Reply #4 on: 08/11/2018 at 15:43 »

The French really do things their own way lol

You are not kidding! I have been threatened with a gun by a ranger while out boat fishing  :shock

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com