Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

James Laraway

Spun marabou for mini-lures
« on: 26/10/2018 at 15:19 »
So in the latest trout and salmon the 'featured' trout fly is called a 'Fat Cat' - a 'mini' lure from orkney for wild trout
It is made by spinning marabou in a dubbing loop. Now i have never 'done' dubbing loops but i liked the look of this fly so much i gave it a go.

i have to varnish the heads ( so they will look neat) - but i now love the spun marabou. Yes its messy but it will create an amazing mobile fly.

i can see myself spinning ostrich, rea and marabou for all sorts of things now - pike flies, salmon flies, seat trout flies...
size8s

size10s

Euan Innes

Re: Spun marabou for mini-lures
« Reply #1 on: 26/10/2018 at 18:00 »
Lovely work James.
Check out the OPST videos about composite loops. There are two or three but this one helped me.

I made my own dubbing spinner which looks like the Jerry French OPST one. It is made from a big bolt and a hook from an electricians rod kit, drilled and tapped to fit. It is heavy and doesn't roll off the bench. See what the OPST one looks like and see what you can find lying around. The OPST one is a bit expensive, but then there is Christmas...
Composite loops open up a whole new world to your fly tying, especially salt patterns and BIG intruders. Go for it!

Euan

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #2 on: 29/10/2018 at 11:42 »
i can see myself spinning ostrich, rea and marabou for all sorts of things now - pike flies, salmon flies, seat trout flies...
size8s

Good old Niklaus Baeur has videos on YouTube showing this technique for using a dubbing loop with flashabou.  First saw his method probably about 8 years ago now.

Makes cracking flies :) I use it for all my pike tube flies.

If you want pre made dubbing brushes for pike flies, then Jerkbaitmania does them via their Pike Skinz fibres (the best!).
https://www.jerkbaitmania.co.uk/tying-pike-skinz-dubbing-brushes-c-40_59.html

Dave Medlyn

« Reply #3 on: 30/10/2018 at 16:11 »
Very nice James. Bit of an Irish lough fly about them.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com