Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Hamish Young

Some of you may have seen this already.
If not it is worth reinforcing that this isn't a definitive categorisation, I imagine there will be some 'animated' discussion in some places. Still, it will gives us a chance to see what is being proposed:
https://scotland.shinyapps.io/sg-salmon-conservation/?fbclid=IwAR1V6EwydnpPUPlp8Rf_9lF2KOOFJd2GPpjd_0HjPauZXSHcgi8FrPJe2F0

For me.... well why not just make all waters Category 2 :? I could live with that.

H

Bob Mitchell

Re: The proposed 2019 Scottish river categories for Salmon
« Reply #1 on: 29/10/2018 at 08:34 »
As soon as a government gets involved common sense goes out the door.
 Our river is worse this year mainly [I hope ] to the dry weather and is now a cat 2. This season a cat 3 and last season cat 2. As above make all rivers a cat 2 and if the returns show an improvement year on year then a cat 1.
I have this season returned 2 dead fish to the river which is just a waste of a good food resource. Just would not recover.
Bob.

James Laraway

« Reply #2 on: 29/10/2018 at 08:53 »
I agree with Hamish, im not sure i like the cat 1 classification.

How many rivers can really sustain the 'take as many as you like' classification ? And how does this look to the public ?

Now, on highly managed rivers like the spey and findhorn , despite the cat 1 status i cant see people chapping everything - as the gillies have an eye on what is going on.

On less managed rivers i think it is a different story.

lets face it - you should not need to take more than 2 to 4 fish a season for personal consumption.

When the don was in much better fettle i would take 2 fish (6-7lbs)  a season for cold smoking and that kept us very well supplied.

lets move to carcase tagging with a limit set per person per river per year

im not sayign that it would stop the fishmongers, but it would make life a lot more difficult for them

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #3 on: 30/10/2018 at 15:25 »
 Scot Govs attitude to salmon conservation is a laugh, when they wont accept the fact that salmon farms are a big part of the problem, so blame it on the Anglers, they can stand it, Derek Roxborough

Bob Mitchell

« Reply #4 on: 25/11/2018 at 08:58 »
Why do other salmon fishers always blame the fishers that take a fish for the pot. It merely makes the non fishers think that we are the cause of the decline. Have given fresh and smoked salmon to friends and they all said that they would never buy farmed salmon again.
Bob.

Hamish Young

« Reply #5 on: 25/11/2018 at 09:37 »
The consultation for next years categorisations closed on Friday 23rd, so I imagine we will shortly know the final decisions.

I'm intrigued....  ZX3

H

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #6 on: 26/11/2018 at 08:46 »
It does not take a genius to work out the direct relationship  between salmon farms and poor runs of salmon. A quick look at the map proves this.

Imagine if politicians had the ability to see the bigger picture.....

Bob Mitchell

« Reply #7 on: 26/11/2018 at 09:45 »
Reading another article in the Herald this morning about anglers catching so few fish. Worst season in living memory.
All this is leading up to a ban on salmon fishing in perhaps the next ten years.
Bob.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #8 on: 26/11/2018 at 11:04 »
Reading another article in the Herald this morning about anglers catching so few fish. Worst season in living memory.
All this is leading up to a ban on salmon fishing in perhaps the next ten years.
Bob.

The Dee did well at the back end once the water was up. However, next season will be the true test as we will see how much of an impact the Pacific Salmon we saw last season will be.

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #9 on: 26/11/2018 at 11:11 »
The Dee did well at the back end once the water was up. However, next season will be the true test as we will see how much of an impact the Pacific Salmon we saw last season will be.

The way things are going, they may be the only salmon left to fish for...

Steven.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #10 on: 26/11/2018 at 14:18 »
The way things are going, they may be the only salmon left to fish for...

Steven.

That is what I am wondering.

There must come a point where the odds are stacked so much against the Atlantic Salmon that we have to say enough is enough and just let them go.

If it is true that the rivers are running a few degrees warmer, there may come a point where salmon survival is just not possible.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com