Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Steven Sinclair

Re: Things that you find in the cupboard
« Reply #45 on: 31/01/2019 at 00:41 »
You utter barsteward Mike.  :z4 :z4 :z4
I am now trying to define the difference between WANT and NEED.... :X2

Euan

It's better to beg for forgiveness than to ask permission  :z4

I must admit that i've never liked fishing with them, but I can't deny that it's pretty  :cool:

:z18

Steven.

Euan Innes

« Reply #46 on: 31/01/2019 at 19:41 »
It's better to beg for forgiveness than to ask permission  :z4

I must admit that i've never liked fishing with them, but I can't deny that it's pretty  :cool:

Steven.

Steven,
I have a great understanding with my better half. Since she took up scuba diving and needs to spend a lot of money on gear she no longer bothers me when I buy tackle. As a matter of fact she will be with me on Saturday in Angus Angling!  :z16
I do love a bamboo rod, but not all the time and that is definitely a rod worth having. I did define want and need, and although I still want it, I don't need it so I passed. I have two other short rods in that line weight, both not made of carbon, and there is nothing wrong with either other than I need to fish them more. At that price Steven you should buy it for those days that need a #16 BWO.  :wink
Almost troot time and the new green stick is just begging to get out!

Euan

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #47 on: 01/02/2019 at 07:12 »
Steven,
I have a great understanding with my better half. Since she took up scuba diving and needs to spend a lot of money on gear she no longer bothers me when I buy tackle. As a matter of fact she will be with me on Saturday in Angus Angling!  :z16
I do love a bamboo rod, but not all the time and that is definitely a rod worth having. I did define want and need, and although I still want it, I don't need it so I passed. I have two other short rods in that line weight, both not made of carbon, and there is nothing wrong with either other than I need to fish them more. At that price Steven you should buy it for those days that need a #16 BWO.  :wink
Almost troot time and the new green stick is just begging to get out!

Euan

Mine wasn't but that's now taken care of  :z4 :z4 :z4

A fine sales pitch sir but that's what my 3# barrio and 4# hot torpedo are for and I don't have to wait three days to get the fly out there  :z7

Horses for courses and I definitely admire the craftsmanship but they really ain't for me i'm afraid.

Steven.

Hamish Young

« Reply #48 on: 06/03/2019 at 09:48 »
Continuing on the thread topic...... I have started to (sort of :!) sort through some of my fishing gear.
Of the collection of folk here, probably only Euan truly comprehends the madness this is. The truth is that some things are best left undisturbed.... but it's too late now :z4

Turns out that I have many, many more fly lines than even I thought  :shock

I also found a rod I have no recollection of buying/swapping for/being given etc. It's something of a mystery  :z8

It also just happens to be one that I have been itching to do some Spey casting with...... it's a 10' Daiwa Whisker 'Professional Trout' rated for AFTMA 8-10  :cool: Not all that often you see (today, at least) 8-10 wt and trout on the same rod  :wink

For a long time I was a very big fan of Daiwa products and IMHO they really did make some super rods 'back in the day'. Unfortunately I think they often compromised the blanks with some sub-optimal ring choices. I have had the opportunity to try a pair of their rods with one re-ringed with lightweight snakes back to back with a standard rod with the scaffolding like  industrial jobs they came out of the factory with. Night and day.

So I got thinking. If my interest is 'piqued' after a few trial casting sessions with the rod, then I may well spend some time and effort stripping it and re-ringing it with something 'sensible'. We'll see.

In the meantime, I'm going to create some home-made shooting heads for it......

H

Terry Coging

« Reply #49 on: 06/03/2019 at 10:50 »
Hamish - your mention of the Daiwa Whisker prompted me to rummage among some rods that have not seen daylight for years. And there it was - a Daiwa Osprey Tournament 9'9" 7-9 wt. Used to be my favourite lure and s/h salmon rod. I gave it a waggle and remembered how I used to love that rod.  I'll take it down the Reservoir on opening day next week to check it out with it's various successors in my armoury.  Yes - the Daiwa Thistle range were pretty damned good.

Euan Innes

« Reply #50 on: 06/03/2019 at 21:05 »
I have a Masterline Ghillie that needs restoring with more modern rings and a better handle / reel seat.
Sandy beware! :z4 :z4 :z4
I would also be keen to get my hands on a Bob Church Dave Shipman Drifter rod just to work out if my glasses are indeed rose tinted.... :z12
But this close to the 15th I only have glass in my tunnel vision :z16
And yes Hamish you have TOO many lines. Dear God open a store of your own or make a rule of only buying a line if you have space on a reel that you actually own and not one you want to buy. Difficult I know, but man up  :z4 :z4 :z4
Euan

Hamish Young

« Reply #51 on: 07/03/2019 at 17:20 »
.... or make a rule of only buying a line if you have space on a reel that you actually own and not one you want to buy. Difficult I know, but man up  :z4 :z4 :z4
Euan
  :z4 :z4 Well I have plenty of reels and plenty of spare spools, but a chap can't have too many you know  :cool:
It's a good excuse to buy more reels - oh wait... I did  :X1
H

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com