Fishing The Fly Forum, based in Aberdeenshire,  Scotland

James Laraway

Predator lines
« on: October 22, 2018, 09:15:57 AM »
Hi Mike,
got a quetsion for you. Im just about to take 're-posession' of my Loop Opti salt rod again, which is a 9ft #10 as i want to get out after the pike again.

So , i was looking at your predator lines.

The loop is pretty 'pokey' so i was thinking the 28g predator line, which i see has a 33ft head.

Now, i already own one of your switch lines in a 8/9 which weighs 30.5 grams, so pretty close in weight - so was thinking that i will try that first to see if it goes with the rod.

I guess my question is are there any real differences between the lines , other than you can get the predator ones in an intermediate ( which will probably me my choise anyways....) ?

regards
James

Hamish Young

Re: Predator lines
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2018, 20:13:50 PM »
James,
The two lines are very different in profile.
The Predator is intended to deal with chunky flies in a different way to the Switch, I'm fairly confident that in amongst my gear are a few early production Predator lines.
If we can work out a mutually convenient time to try them out on your rod we can do that so you get to try the Predator in advance  :z16
H
“When tired at last, he sat on the bank, while the river still chattered on to him, a babbling procession of the best stories in the world, sent from the heart of the earth to be told at last to the insatiable sea.”

Mike Barrio

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2018, 21:47:55 PM »
Sorry James, I missed this one  :oops

Hamish is right, so if you can try his lines that would be great :z16

Best wishes
Mike
www.flylineshop.com   At the heart of your fishing ..... lies a great fly line!

James Laraway

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2018, 21:56:39 PM »
Awesome, I’ll give you a call soon as I get the rod tomorrow

James,
The two lines are very different in profile.
The Predator is intended to deal with chunky flies in a different way to the Switch, I'm fairly confident that in amongst my gear are a few early production Predator lines.
If we can work out a mutually convenient time to try them out on your rod we can do that so you get to try the Predator in advance  :z16
H

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2018, 08:00:55 AM »
Hi Mike,
got a quetsion for you. Im just about to take 're-posession' of my Loop Opti salt rod again, which is a 9ft #10 as i want to get out after the pike again.

So , i was looking at your predator lines.

The loop is pretty 'pokey' so i was thinking the 28g predator line, which i see has a 33ft head.

Now, i already own one of your switch lines in a 8/9 which weighs 30.5 grams, so pretty close in weight - so was thinking that i will try that first to see if it goes with the rod.

I guess my question is are there any real differences between the lines , other than you can get the predator ones in an intermediate ( which will probably me my choise anyways....) ?

regards
James

I have both, and I have used the Switch to over head cast heavy "helmet head" sculpins on the Don.....but it's not pretty! and I was desperate lol. It is also scary when a lump of tungsten whistles past your ear.

As stated, the lines are very different when cast and the Predator handles air resistant flies well.
Ok, I admit it, I quite like this salmon fishing lark....

James Laraway

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2018, 11:32:17 AM »
ah, my rod is back home...

James Laraway

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2018, 17:27:21 PM »
Hamish was kind enough to meet me on the canal this morning to let me try out a couple of the predator lines - the 25 and 28g

First we went for the 25g, on the #10 Loop. Nice line i thought. Would be good on the Loop.

The we tried the 28g. OMG. You could just feel the rod load deep and the line fairly zinged through the rings ....

the both agreed that the 28g line on the rod put a grin on our faces.

Order placed  :z16 :z16 :z16 :z16

and a big thanks to Hamish  :z14

Mike Barrio

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2018, 18:00:56 PM »
Great stuff, pleased that you like the lines James ..... Thanks Hamish :z16

Cheers
Mike

James Laraway

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2018, 13:58:01 PM »
Hi Mike

thats me got the line this morning, so thanks for the great service as ever

i hope to get out on the float tube this weekend or next to try out my new line.

I never thought a new line would make me smile but the way the predator lines cast they certainly do !

I think i may also use it for my single hander salmon fishing too...

James Laraway

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2018, 16:19:37 PM »
Hi Mike, have you considered lighter lines with the same aggressive taper for streamer fishing ? Say a line for a #6?

Mike Barrio

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2018, 17:15:52 PM »
No current plans James ..... but food for thought  :z16

Best wishes
Mike

James Laraway

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2018, 17:47:47 PM »
So, first time on the water today with my 28g intermediate predator line. Was fishing from my float tube with a variety of flies, from big rabbit hair game changers ( heavy when wet) to lighter flies.  The predator line turns over even the big heavy flies  but moving onto medium to lighter ones the performance of the line just blew my mind. Even with my average casting skills I was thumping out long lines 😊. I just love the aggressive taper on the line, straight off the spool and no memory and super smooth coating. What’s not to like ? I like my Barrio lines, especially the SLX but this line is the dogs danglies !!! Awesome, seriously awesome. Pleeeeeease make in lighter weights......
« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 18:13:34 PM by James Laraway »

Hamish Young

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2018, 18:30:22 PM »
You put a 28g intermediate on the shopping list :?
James you're a brave fellow.... that'll go like the proverbial off a well polished teflon shovel on that Loop rod :lol
The Predator is very much my type of line, I do like it, but in lighter weights the SLX is possibly more versatile - IMHO
I'm really pleased it's worked out for you though  :z16

H :cool:
“When tired at last, he sat on the bank, while the river still chattered on to him, a babbling procession of the best stories in the world, sent from the heart of the earth to be told at last to the insatiable sea.”

Forum moderators : Mike Barrio - Hamish Young - Sandy Nelson

Barrio Fly Lines, designed in Scotland ... Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines - www.flylineshop.com - At the heart of your fishing ..... lies a great fly line!

© Copyright www.fishingthefly.co.uk all rights reserved

Please click here to read our cookies and privacy information before using our website forum